Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
OTs do you do private therapy?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 6:21 pm
I am a school based it in public schools. A frum school just asked me to see a couple students who are not on ieps but have needs.

I never worked privately. What would I need to do? Legally? Practically? Of course I am already licensed etc.
How do I report this income? How do I know how much I will actually keep? If it is too much of a pain, then I would just turn them down.

Also, what us a reasonable hourly rate in the Midwest for this?

esther11

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 6:47 pm
I am an OT, a couple things to find out first:
1) depending on the state, you may not be allowed to legally take on private cases if you are working for the public school system. Ask your supervisor
2) who would be paying you for these new cases? If it’s the school, they will probably add you to payroll. If it’s insurance companies, you will need to contact the companies and find out how to make a contract to accept insurance. If it will be private pay, speak to your accountant about how to go about filing the income.

I don’t know rates in the Midwest, sorry, I have only worked in multiple states along the east coast. Usually private pay is the most lucrative; but on the flip side, there are no health benefits and job security.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:00 pm
esther11 wrote:
I am an OT, a couple things to find out first:
1) depending on the state, you may not be allowed to legally take on private cases if you are working for the public school system. Ask your supervisor
2) who would be paying you for these new cases? If it’s the school, they will probably add you to payroll. If it’s insurance companies, you will need to contact the companies and find out how to make a contract to accept insurance. If it will be private pay, speak to your accountant about how to go about filing the income.

I don’t know rates in the Midwest, sorry, I have only worked in multiple states along the east coast. Usually private pay is the most lucrative; but on the flip side, there are no health benefits and job security.

It would paid directly by the parents to me. Not through the school or insurance. How do I go about this?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 10:10 pm
Bump!!

If I am getting paid directly by parents, not the school and not through insurance, what kind of documentation do I do? Any legal considerations?
Anyone who did private like this... Is it the 50 minute hour plus documentation? What did you charge and where do you live?

Please take the time to respond! TIA!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics