Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Franks 'n Blanks... buy frozen or make my own?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 8:56 am
Does making my own Franks n Blanks come out cheaper?
Are homemade ones freezable?
Please post a good and easy recipe.

octopus

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 8:59 am
moishas this week is advertising a 9x13 tray for franks n' blanks for $45. It probably would be cheaper to make your own.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 8:59 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Does making my own Franks n Blanks come out cheaper?
Are homemade ones freezable?
Please post a good and easy recipe.

Ready bought ones are so expensive. Think $7 for 12 pieces! This is something that people want a bunch of.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:00 am
octopus wrote:
moishas this week is advertising a 9x13 tray for franks n' blanks for $45. It probably would be cheaper to make your own.

I would buy the Mealmart frozen ones. I was thinking the price would be more or less the same, since puff pastry is not cheap.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:02 am
Ok. So how do I make it? I buy cocktail Franks and puff pastry squares and just wrap and bake? Or to you put something on the inside of the dough and smear outside of dough with egg wash and sesame seeds. I've never eaten them myself so I don't even know how they are supposed to taste.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:02 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I would buy the Mealmart frozen ones. I was thinking the price would be more or less the same, since puff pastry is not cheap.

You get a ton of mileage out of that expensive package of pastry dough. Franks in blankets are mini.

bargainlover

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:03 am
I freeze homemade ones raw and bake out morning of. Get hot dogs and puff pastry on sale. I use 1 hot dog per square (the big ones ) of puff pastry. Then slice each onto a few pieces. Lay on baking sheet , freeze, and can put in a bag to save room once they are frozen solid

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:07 am
bargainlover wrote:
I freeze homemade ones raw and bake out morning of. Get hot dogs and puff pastry on sale. I use 1 hot dog per square (the big ones ) of puff pastry. Then slice each onto a few pieces. Lay on baking sheet , freeze, and can put in a bag to save room once they are frozen solid

Do you smear anything inside or outside? When you bake the day of, do you defrost first or bake frozen?

naomi2

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:14 am
I buy the puff pastry squares and cut each into 3rds. Wrap each piece around a mini dog and bake till golden. Easy peasy.
You can even stack a few pieces of dough and cut through together as long as they're not too warm and sticky.

Last edited by naomi2 on Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:15 am
Thank you all for your input it was very helpful!

Blessing1

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:20 am
Mix ketchup with a bit mustard, smear on mini pastry square. Cut in 3 & roll up mini frank.
I freeze it baked it's delicious.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:26 am
Just need some clarity here . If doing cocktail Franks instead of cutting full size Franks, which size puff pastry squares do you use. The three x three cut into thirds or six by six cut into thirds?

Blessing1

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:30 am
3x3 cut into thirds. Cocktail franks are so much better than regular cut into pieces, you can't compare.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:35 am
You get more dough out of a full sheet of pastry but takes a bit more rolling and cutting.

smileyfaces

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:39 am
There are two easy ways to make them.
Either roll a full size hot dog in a square of pastry dough and cut and then bake, or rolls the cocktail size in a smaller strip of pastry dough (use a knife to cut the dough nicely).
Freeze and then smear egg and sesame seeds before baking.
Way cheaper to make them than buying.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:43 am
Just make sure to use enough dough (an extra 1/3 around) since it expands when it bakes and you want the seams to stay shut.
Test one before continuing.

happy12

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 10:39 am
costco has 100 for $18.99

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 1:00 pm
You can get 3 or 4 x the amount for your money if you make it yourself

Frozen bought ones are no recipe- it’s only dough and franks

I smear a drop of mustard- not too much- it gives flavor and moisture to the dough

Also I brush the dough with egg. The ready made ones don’t seem to have the egg coating. ( at least the ones that I bought)

Last edited by lkwdlady on Mon, Feb 19 2018, 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 11:47 pm
Smear a drop of mustard inside (or equal parts mayo and mustard). Instead of egg wash, use duck sauce. It adds really great flavor!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics