Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can your dh cook?
Previous  1  2

Can your husband cook?
He's the chef (professional or not)  
 10%  [ 23 ]
He knows how, but I do most of the cooking  
 40%  [ 91 ]
He can do the bare minimum or enough so no one will starve  
 31%  [ 72 ]
Does cold food count?  
 7%  [ 16 ]
The kitchen is alien to him  
 8%  [ 19 ]
other  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 227

DREAMING

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 6:46 pm
Dh can make eggs, toast, simple roast chicken and most Shabbos foods.

livinginflatbus

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 7:02 pm
he can cook but doesn’t usually unless an emergency.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 7:05 pm
Dh CAN and HAS successfully followed a few recipes in his life and he told me when we got married that he can do omelettes. He even put fish sticks from the freezer into the oven last week. But when I'm sick in bed he'd just give starving kids cookies or eventually order pizza. And someone would have to point out that they are starving. My 3 yr old would help himself to cereal and accessible fridge food before my husband would realize he needs food.

alis_al_kulana

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 7:07 pm
My husband cooks but only very fancy food, takes him hours, and he does clean up but never perfectly.
He doesn't do dinners or menus. It's more like, "alis do you mind if I make chicken cacciatore for shabbos?"
I enjoy his food but I don't count on it.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 8:49 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Dh CAN and HAS successfully followed a few recipes in his life and he told me when we got married that he can do omelettes. He even put fish sticks from the freezer into the oven last week. But when I'm sick in bed he'd just give starving kids cookies or eventually order pizza. And someone would have to point out that they are starving. My 3 yr old would help himself to cereal and accessible fridge food before my husband would realize he needs food.

it sounds like he was severely enabled first by his mother then by you.
There is no reason in the world an adult intelligent man can't feed his own children

Water Stones

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 8:59 pm
I vote "the kitchen is alien to him".

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 9:11 pm
Other- we are both professional cooks.

tymama

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 9:14 pm
I’m so jealous. My dh can barely scramble an egg

smileyfaces

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 9:20 pm
DH is a fantastic cook, however he doesn’t have much extra time so I do most of the cooking.
We cook Yom Tov together and he helps with shabbos cooking.

kenz

Post Sat, Feb 17 2018, 9:20 pm
Metukah wrote:
I chose 'bare minimum' and it really is that, or maybe even less. He can bread and fry schnitzel, cut a salad, fry eggs and make a cheese toast. Nothing else. Nothing at all.

This is bare minimum? Mine can boil water for pasta and buy pizza - does that count? LOL
He's also perfectly happy eating challah and dips for dinner if I can't cook for whatever reason.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 12:09 am
My dh is the chef, at least as far as cooking for Shabbat is concerned. He's perfectly capable of cooking complete meals with meat/chicken, vegetables, rice, homemade salads, deserts and cakes. And he washes up everything afterwards Very Happy . Sometimes, all that's left for me is to bake the challot.
Most of his meals are very good, though occasionally he experiments or tries weird recipes which he's found on the internet which then turn out a bit funny. But more often they are great. By the way, his mother never taught him how to cook. He's a complete autodidact in that.

On the minus side - on Fridays he regards the kitchen as his sole territory. Our kitchen is quite small and only one person can work there at a time. If I want to cook something for Shabbat, I have to either plead or fight with him to get some "kitchen time". On the rare occasion that he's not at home on a Friday and I get to do the whole menu, he's a bit grumpy, even if it turns out good, because he sees it as a kind of competition and he wants to be the better cook.

On weekdays, we eat often very simple or even cold stuff, because we both work and can't be bothered. The children anyway get warm meals in their kindergarten/mishpachton during the day and are not very hungry. Often, I knock up some pasta or something similar, or it's just sandwich night. Occasionally, he makes Shabbat-style meat meals during the week.

I've gained about 20 kg of weight since we got married... Crying I like to blame his Shabbat cooking for that, it's tasty as I wrote, but it has about 10000 calories per portion.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 12:56 am
amother wrote:
You are missing a very important option.
We cook 50/50.

this.

Metukah

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 1:43 am
kenz wrote:
This is bare minimum? Mine can boil water for pasta and buy pizza - does that count? LOL
He's also perfectly happy eating challah and dips for dinner if I can't cook for whatever reason.

That's the option below bare minimum.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
You are missing a very important option.
We cook 50/50.
I do most of the weekday cooking, he does most of the shabbat cooking.

agree with we need close to 50 50. he makes brunch when he is home and cooks Shabbos when he has time lately it is every week. he relaxes and enjoys cooking. also one weekday supper or oversees pasta that I planned etc.

when we first got married I was intimidated that he was able to cook really well. I focused on baking or pasta etc before I got married.

now I am teaching my kids the basics of cooking so they will be able to cook on their own

kenz

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:02 am
Metukah wrote:
That's the option below bare minimum.

Yes, and that’s what I voted. I was responding to a specific post.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 18 2018, 9:13 am
I had to teach him how to add hot water to ramen noodles.

He still whines when he wants me to make him a sandwich, like I have some magical knowlege of where the mustard is. Rolling Eyes

How does someone reach the age of 68, and not know how to feed himself?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 4:53 am
My husband knows how to cook plenty because he's a functional human being who can follow recipes. I do most of the cooking based on our schedule, but he definitely does his fair share.

I don't believe in men who "can't cook" - they just haven't prioritized their mental capabilities to spend a few minutes learning.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 5:14 am
Mine can cook simple things, nothing particularly exciting, but he can get the job done. I do most of the cooking because it's more practical and I also enjoy it more than he does. With my parents, my dad is the cook, my mom doesn't cook at all. Family joke is that my mom only knows how to make one thing: reservations LOL

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 8:10 am
Dh can follow any simple recipe, but I do most of the cooking. He can make cholent, dips, salads, cookies etc. and will do so when I need help before shabbos.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen