Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Helping my 10 yr old girl control her outbursts

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:28 pm
Basically , when my 10 yr old daughter gets upset, she lashes out at anyone in sight. Its been happening quite often lately. I'd like to help her control her emotions and pace herself. Can anyone guide me with tips to give her?

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:39 pm
Check out The Explosive Child:
https://www.amazon.com/Explosi.....70451

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:42 pm
Second the explosive child. The author has a fantastic website www.livesinthebalance.org

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:47 pm
My daughter of the same age has similar behaviors. We had her evaluated, and she has a generalized anxiety disorder. She is on medication and in therapy, and her school has frequent meetings with us. It’s not perfect, but she works very hard. We have a code word that I use when I see her getting all worked up, and when I use it, she goes to a quiet place to calm down (not as a punishment). If I can get to her before she flies off the handle, it’s usually best for everyone.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:48 pm
Thanks, its not that shes inflexible, more like easily frustrated if someone isn't listening to what she has to say, or doing something she doesn't want

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter of the same age has similar behaviors. We had her evaluated, and she has a generalized anxiety disorder. She is on medication and in therapy, and her school has frequent meetings with us. It’s not perfect, but she works very hard. We have a code word that I use when I see her getting all worked up, and when I use it, she goes to a quiet place to calm down (not as a punishment). If I can get to her before she flies off the handle, it’s usually best for everyone.

I like that idea, I dont think she has anxiety, but definitely lets things build up until its too far. How does your daughter handle with the code word ? Was she receptive to it?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
I like that idea, I dont think she has anxiety, but definitely lets things build up until its too far. How does your daughter handle with the code word ? Was she receptive to it?

I can’t know what your daughter has- just sharing my experiences. A professional evaluation helped us immensely. She does actually listen to the code word. It reminds her she’s not being socially acceptable, and she goes to calm down. I think it works because she knows she’s welcome to rejoin us as soon as she’s ready.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
I can’t know what your daughter has- just sharing my experiences. A professional evaluation helped us immensely. She does actually listen to the code word. It reminds her she’s not being socially acceptable, and she goes to calm down. I think it works because she knows she’s welcome to rejoin us as soon as she’s ready.

she had a full professional evaluation which didn't turn up much other than she's extremely smart and disorganized. she gets ot for about 2 yrs now which doesn't do much

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 3:24 pm
What type of professional does one go to get these evaluations done?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children