Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Psycho-educational testing

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 11:03 am
I'm looking for psycho-educational testing at a university clinic for my nine year old daughter. I live in N NJ so NYC would be fine. YU don't have a spring semester clinic - which other places have people used and been happy with?

Mothers

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 11:23 am
What is the purpose of the testing?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 11:41 am
A developmental pediatrician evaluated her and said she has adhd non attentive type (no hyperactivity) and learning disabilities - he recommended a complete evaluation to identify issues and get recommendations.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 11:55 am
We used Columbia's clinic and weren't happy.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking for psycho-educational testing at a university clinic for my nine year old daughter. I live in N NJ so NYC would be fine. YU don't have a spring semester clinic - which other places have people used and been happy with?

Unless things changed in the past couple of years, the waiting lists for these places are generally very long so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes that there's no spring semester clinic. Do you have the option of putting yourself on the waiting list there while you look for other options?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 12:19 pm
I'm going to call up the clinics and just see - it's worth it. I was going to go with Columbia - is that the Teachers' College that you experienced? There was no waiting list there, but if it's not good we'll forget that one.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm going to call up the clinics and just see - it's worth it. I was going to go with Columbia - is that the Teachers' College that you experienced? There was no waiting list there, but if it's not good we'll forget that one.

I don't believe it was the teacher's college. It was the clinic at Morgan Stanley their children's hospital.
The doctor (a student) couldn't figure out what was wrong in the 2 sessions we had and wanted us to come back twice a week on an ongoing basis for the coming school year. We weren't able to do that since we live very far away and traveled only for a professional assessment. They couldn't refer us to someone nearby. And they couldn't give us a report after all that because they didn't have answers us. They told us what they suspected and they wanted us to start medication based on that but wouldn't provide a report on that.
ETA: Oh and they wouldn't proceed with the education part of the eval since the neuro wasn't complete, even though it was the educational evaluation that was what we were looking for and held the most value.

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:03 pm
Check out St Johns university in Queens. I used them last spring. Wait list was about 2 months. They have a sliding scale pricing based on your income.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:06 pm
I don't have what to compare to but we're in the process of going through NYU child study center. Maybe ask about that?

Mothers

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:38 pm
I’ve had good experience with the NYU Child Study Center.

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:42 pm
NYU doesn’t accept insurance last time I checked and they charge several thousands

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 2:45 pm
iriska_meller wrote:
NYU doesn’t accept insurance last time I checked and they charge several thousands

NYU has a separate clinic with a long wait list just like Columbia.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 3:30 pm
We are actually getting paid a little for the child study because it's a research project. We did need to agree to more testing than would have been necessary and I feel a little bad putting my child through it but it's the only way I could get this type of evaluation from a reputable place affordable and only a couple of months wait.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children