Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
No sep. eggs sponge cake

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 5:06 am
8 cold eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. o.j.
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
Preheat oven to 350. Whip eggs till stiff. Add sugar. On low speed, add juice and oil. On lower speed add flour and baking powder. Bake 1 hour. Use 9x13 or bundt pan. do not grease pan and turn upside down to cool.

sarahnurit

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:52 am
Hey, that's the same recipe that I jave been using for all my cakes...it works great, and you can add other ingredients for flavouring, like orange peel, chocolate...

freidasima

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:58 pm
How can the eggs become stiff if you don't separate them?
Also it's a lot of sugar, can I cut half?
And finally can I use applesauce instead of oil to not have fat?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:08 pm
freidasima wrote:
How can the eggs become stiff if you don't separate them?
Also it's a lot of sugar, can I cut half?
And finally can I use applesauce instead of oil to not have fat?

That's a lot of questions for a cake.
The eggs do become stiff, maybe not as well as just whites, but they do as long as they're cold. The bowl and beaters could also be cold.
I don't know about cutting it in 1/2, but yes, you could use less.
I have no idea about the applesauce, sorry!

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 5:08 am
Brilliant recipe, Yo'ma! I did it exactly as instructed, including cold bowl and whisk. Mmmmm. Wonderful crusty layer on top, nice and spongy inside. What a great recipe, perfectly plain. I did the whole recipe with the whisk attachment, it's such a light recipe. Thanks!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 5:12 am
Tamiri wrote:
Brilliant recipe, Yo'ma! I did it exactly as instructed, including cold bowl and whisk. Mmmmm. Wonderful crusty layer on top, nice and spongy inside. What a great recipe, perfectly plain. I did the whole recipe with the whisk attachment, it's such a light recipe. Thanks!

I'm so glad it worked out. It's my grandmother's recipe from a million years ago. I don't know where she got it from. It's really supposed to be a marble cake, but it never worked, so I didn't even write that part down in my "cookbook".

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 5:24 am
I was going to write: it tastes like something my Baba would have made, had she been a baker. Instead, she always bought us sponge cake from her baker on the lower east side, and we LOVED it. My mother, more of a gourmand never made us sponge cake Sad

lovemykids

Post Sat, Jul 13 2013, 7:38 pm
2 Tablespoons baking powder?

zaq

Post Sat, Jul 13 2013, 8:45 pm
lovemykids wrote:
2 Tablespoons baking powder?

A lower-case "t" means teaspoon. Tablespoon is a capital T.

lovemykids

Post Sat, Jul 13 2013, 9:37 pm
Too late Sad. Made it with tablespoons. It's done already and tastes ok. How would it be different had I made it with teaspoons?

SS6099

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 2:07 pm
2 T b.p. probably gave it somewhat a bitter taste! Way better with 2 teaspoons! I guess there's always a next time!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 2:11 pm
baking powder is salty ... usually 1 tsp to 1 cup flour ... and that's how you know if it's a mistake ... unless they're for pancakes

lovemykids

Post Sun, Jul 14 2013, 4:13 pm
That is really interesting because the cake is not bitter at all. My dh actually loves it.

Jay3fer

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 2:20 pm
Really REALLY old post, I know, but I just want to say - made this last Shabbos and it was incredibly delicious, will absolutely make again. BUT I baked it in a silicone tube pan and it needed way longer to bake than I gave it. It fooled me because it looked very "done" on top but was almost completely liquid at the core. So I may have to cover it with tinfoil in my small Israeli oven.

Thanks anyway for a great new recipe!

(p.s. Added 1 small baking chocolate bar, maybe 3oz to the chocolate swirl part and yum...)

happymommy6

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 5:28 pm
I'd love to try this cake in a Bundt pan. Really ungreased???? Not even flour oil spray?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 5:17 am
happymommy6 wrote:
I'd love to try this cake in a Bundt pan. Really ungreased???? Not even flour oil spray?

It’s supposed to be turned upside down to cool and if you grease it, it will fall out. Besides that, I haven’t made it in years, so I don’t remember much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins