Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Yeast Infection

chestnut

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 10:00 pm
on my 2 y. old daughter's private part. ifrst I thought it was a diaper rash, but it wasn't going away for 4 days and was much redder than a diaper rash. so, I went to the Dr and this is the verdict.

anyone's toddler had it? it sounds so scary...

madys

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 9:42 am
all my kids have had it as infants, and they prescribed nystatin cream, and it cleared up pretty quickly....

chen

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 1:06 pm
It's a nuisance ailment, very unpleasant for the sufferer but not at all uncommon. Very easy to get when one doesn't know how to properly clean oneself after a bowel movement, also very easy to get if you've taken oral antibiotics.

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 1:55 pm
my daughter is not toilet trained yet.

chen, you might be onto something - she was finishing the antibiotics when she got it (mamish in her last day). that was it? what's the connection? how come the Dr hasn't mentioned anything? does it mean this specific antibiotic will always give her the yeast infection or any could?

chen

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:18 pm
there are beneficial bacteria that live in the gut and help us digest food as well as keep down the population of yeast. Oral antibiotics also knock out these beneficial bacteria, upsetting the yeast/bacteria balance and allowing the yeast to thrive. In some cases, drs. will prescribe antifungal meds to keep the yeast in check when they prescribe long-term antibiotics, but they usually won't do so for the standard 10-day course of antibiotic therapy.

any antibiotic can have this effect. It won't necessarily happen every time. some people are more susceptible than others, and any individual may be more susceptible at certain times than at others. in the future, consider feeding dd yougurt if she has to take oral antibiotics. Eating yogurt with live cultures helps restore the benefical bacteria to the gut.

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:32 pm
thanks a lot for the explanation. I was feeding dd yogurt with live cultures all this time, plus the Dr told me to get probiatics in the health food store (powder) and I was giving it to her at the same time as antibiotics plus am still giving it, for one more week.

and she still got this infection.

what bothers me now, though, is that the Dr didn't say it could have been because of antibiotics Exploding anger

is the diaper area a usual place for it to show? or it could show everywhere on the body?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 3:53 pm
dd spent a long time with those creams!

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 4:42 pm
if she got it once, she'll be getting it all the time, chas veshalom?

YALT

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 6:23 pm
I pray not!
DS has it now. On and off for over a month. We tried all kinds of creams, and now we're going to pick up a stronger cream which our Dr prescribed. Whenever we would put the other creams on, it would just get worse.
He said the best advice he can give is to toilet train. (DS is 19 mos). But he just doesn't seem ready.
I hope this new cream will work.
Good Luck to you!

louche

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 7:03 pm
chestnut wrote:

is the diaper area a usual place for it to show? or it could show everywhere on the body?

it's very common in the vaginal area, which is a nice culture medium because it's warm, moist and dark. Any part of the body that is warm, moist and dark is susceptible.

Yeast infections can occur elsewhere and can in fact be systemic (in the whole body). when it's systemic it's much harder to get rid of and can be chronic. BTW, you can also try applying plain unflavored yogurt like an ointment several times a day to the affected area. If nothing else, it feels cooling and soothing when it's first applied. But it will also add the live cultures directly to the area to help knock out the yeast. Check with your dr. first to see how compatible yogurt is with whatever antifungal cream you're using.

DD is not necessarily doomed to have a chronic yeast infection just because she had it once.

chestnut

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 4:46 pm
YALT wrote:
I pray not!
DS has it now. On and off for over a month. We tried all kinds of creams, and now we're going to pick up a stronger cream which our Dr prescribed. Whenever we would put the other creams on, it would just get worse.
He said the best advice he can give is to toilet train. (DS is 19 mos). But he just doesn't seem ready.
I hope this new cream will work.
Good Luck to you!

thanks. is it working for your dd? my Dr told me about this diaper rash cream, it's not sold in any pharmacy and sometimes it has to ordered (I dont' remember the name, but can look it up at home if u r interested); it's very strong. also, she told me to buy 3 creams (over the counter - hydrocortizone among them) and mix them (or have the pharmacy prepare the mixture - which only few do) - that's for the infection itself.

b'h, it works like a charm!!! only in 1.5 days it from bright red it became pale pink!!!

thanks, louche.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 5:00 pm
Warning: long post

Yup, this over the counter 3 cream mix is a bracha straight from Hashem! I'm telling you! Have used it several times for my child, and for myself. This is the 'recipe' and the instructions from Sara Chana Silverstein, the CH lactation lady extraordinaire...

In case of thrush--treatment for mommy & baby 14 days a MUST!

For mommy: buy bacitracin cream, clotrimazole, and hydrocortizone 1%. Mix together even amounts. For mothers with babies under 30 days, there are a lot of leniencies for Shabbos/Yom Tov even regarding application. Anyway, so apply the cream directly to your nipples about 4x a day, preferably after nursing. It gets absorbed in your skin, and any remainder is safe for baby and doesn't have to be washed off. Try to let your breasts air out as much as possible, and either use nursing pads that you change frequently or wash your bras well and often.

For baby: there is a cream called daktarin. it is a foreign import, I have the number of the CH woman who stocks it. There is both an oral gel, and an external one. Unless you are otherwise told, you need the oral gel. Also about 4x a day (same time as you works well) put a small amount of your finger and smear along the gumline between gums and cheeks, top and bottom. Also, put another small dab (less than pea size) onto baby's tongue and smear around. PM me for her number.

Remember! Ask a lactation lady for help. The treatment is 14 days, and has worked wonders multiple times for me with 2 different children and myself. Also, doctors love to say if to a nursing mother if she doesn't show symptoms she doesn't have yeast. But a huge majority of the time (according to Sara Chana every time), the mommy of course has it. So treat both of you, or it may come back because it wasn't erased!

chestnut

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 10:10 am
Tehila, this is for a yeast infection in breasts and in baby's mouth? (b'h, I didn't have that and neither my daughter; this is the first yeast infection I encountered, and that's why I was surprised to learn it could be in the diaper area - I always associated yeast infection with breastfeeding)

oh, and one of the creams is zinc, the others are clotrimazole, and hydrocortizone 1%, iirc. and my Dr said to put it on for 10 days

amother

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 10:19 am
I suffered from yeast infection, doctor prescribed nystaten, twas excellent disappeared within a few days.
NEVER EAT CITRUS WHEN HAVEING YEAST INFECTION.
EAT A LOT OF YOGURT. HELPS AMAZING!! TRY IT
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics