Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Fasting while nursing

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 10:36 pm
I was told during kallah class that you are considered a nursing mother for 2 years whether actually nursing or not, and that you should tell your rav that when asking a Shaila for fasting etc.

At the time I didn’t think much of it since it didn’t yet apply to me, but now as a Mommy who is no longer breastfeeding for I am very confused by this. Has anybody else been told this? Do you know why? What do you do?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 19 2018, 10:39 pm
I haven't fasted since I became a mother besides Tisha Bav and Yom Kippur. Ask your Rav. Everyone holds differently and follows different minhagim.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 1:41 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I haven't fasted since I became a mother besides Tisha Bav and Yom Kippur. Ask your Rav. Everyone holds differently and follows different minhagim.

I think everyone I know does this. I definitely do.

pizzapie

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 5:03 am
It depends on which rabbi you ask.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 5:35 am
I fast unless I am pregnant or nursing, but I am a good faster. I have heard that women don't need to nurse within two years of giving birth, but its not a common psak.

Satmar and other chassidishe women and girls don't fast at all minor fasts.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 6:00 am
I don't fast the minor fasts because of my origins, but in any case I wouldn't do minor fasts with an under 2. I thank Hashem so much for protecting us from hurt. And when I do fast, I know it's a big deal!!

SuperWify

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 7:35 am
For 2 years after birth even if you don’t nurse a women is still considered a Yoledet and therefore not obligated to fast minor fasts.

animeme

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 8:38 am
SuperWify wrote:
For 2 years after birth even if you don’t nurse a women is still considered a Yoledet and therefore not obligated to fast minor fasts.

Not everyone agrees on this.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 4:32 pm
Most rabbis I know will only say not to fast the minor fasts if pregnant or nursing, and child's age is irrelevant, because it depends on whether the child is dependent on you for physical sustenance (e.g. pregancy or nursing) and not just because he's young. It used to be that everyone nursed until age 2 or 3 and that's where the idea started. I do know there are rabbis who say this, I just don't know any.

I nursed my daughter until the she was about 2 (unfortunately, 2 days after she stopped was a fast day!)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 11:40 pm
What’s the mkst interesting to me isn’t that my kalab teacher told me specifically that’s I should tell my rav that’s I am a nursing Mommy when’s asking questions for fasting for 2 years. She specifically said “whether or not you are actually nursing”. Well I’ll just ask my rav But was curious what you all do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics