Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What to expect visiting Gedolim

emaTO4

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 6:34 am
My DH nad DS (11 years old) are visiting Gedolim in Bnei Brak and Yerushalaym, IYH. We are BT and converts, x10 years now, BH.
How should they prepare themselves? What kinda things should they “ask” or or give over?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:58 am
It depends what gedolim I think. Litvish chassidish. Sfardish...

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 6:19 am
They shud prepare themselves that the entire metting may only take a minute or 2. People going to Reb Chaim Kanievsky many times only hear a BUA from him (short for Bracha Ve Hatzlacha) and that's it!

With most gedolim you can also give a paper with other names on if you want a Bracha for other people who arnt present.

If they are going to Reb Chaim Kanievsky, they should not go in with a watch on their wrist and if they have peyos it shud go in front of the ears. Unless they're happy for him to tell them that they should not wear a watch and need to always wear they're peyos in front!

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 10:05 am
I heard once that he maintains that they are considered beged isha, as men should not be wearing any type of adornment that could be considered jewelry. I do know that when DH went into him, he was careful to take off his watch beforehand as advised above.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
They shud prepare themselves that the entire metting may only take a minute or 2. People going to Reb Chaim Kanievsky many times only hear a BUA from him (short for Bracha Ve Hatzlacha) and that's it!

With most gedolim you can also give a paper with other names on if you want a Bracha for other people who arnt present.

If they are going to Reb Chaim Kanievsky, they should not go in with a watch on their wrist and if they have peyos it shud go in front of the ears. Unless they're happy for him to tell them that they should not wear a watch and need to always wear they're peyos in front!
My DH and DS had an unbelievable meeting with Rav. Chaim Kanievsky. They were expecting to hear "BUA" and they got so much more. We found it fascinating that he asked my DH and DS if we shtam from a mishpacha of geirim. Which we do! How did he know that? They didn't offer one bit of personal information. There were other things as well. It was almost like he knew what had been going on in our lives at the time. It gave us such good creepy feelings.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:02 pm
For anyone going to a Chasidish Rebbe, or specifically the Skulener Rebbe in the US, I would forward the women you need to wear a tichel on top of your sheitel. I didn't know that and I felt like such a fool. Someone there lent me hers so that I could go in and get a bracha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions