Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Yashan

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:47 pm
Do you keep it?
What section of Am Yisrael are you from?
Why do most don’t keep it?
I keep pat yisrael, chalav yisrael and yashan.
The other day someone asked me if I knew which date is good for Oreo cookies.
This person keeps yashan, but not pat and not chalav yisrael. It got me thinking
Just curious.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:49 pm
Yes to yoshon, no to the other 2. Ashkenazi. Most don't keep it because it fell out of custom, and most aren't aware of the reasoning behind it.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 4:59 pm
Many don't keep it because there are opinions that it doesn't apply in chutz l'aretz (outside of Israel), and in Europe it was really hard to keep, so they relied upon these opinions. Now that it's keepable, many have started keeping it, especially since it's a question of a d'Oraisa (Torah prohibition) as opposed to the others you mentioned which are only d'Rabbanan in nature.

Chassidim generally don't keep it, and even among the yeshivish, it's still quite a small minority that does. Some keep in their house only.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:05 pm
Yoshon is a d'Oraisa according to most poskim and cholov / pas Yisroel are both d'rabanan. If you were going to choose one to be makpid on (despite the various leniencies that exist for all three), yoshon is a logical choice.

Just to add, regular Oreos are actually pareve. They're produced on dairy equipment (sometimes -- some plants are completely pareve).

Also, although Ashkenazim are allowed to eat pas palter mei'ikar hadin according to the psak of the Rema, there are even times when Sfardim are allowed to eat pas palter when pas Yisroel is inferior. One might argue that that is the case of Oreos vs. pas Yisroel cookies.

IOW, someone can be makpid on cholov Yisroel and pas Yisroel and still eat Oreos. Smile

Last edited by goodmorning on Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
Do you keep it?
What section of Am Yisrael are you from?
Why do most don’t keep it?
I keep pat yisrael, chalav yisrael and yashan.
The other day someone asked me if I knew which date is good for Oreo cookies.
This person keeps yashan, but not pat and not chalav yisrael. It got me thinking
Just curious.

Oreos are not cholov stam. They're pareve. My son researched this.

etky

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 12:58 am
Yes, but mostly by default since in Israel the Rabbanut won't give a hechsher to products that use 'chadash'.
The problem in Israel is with certain imported items that come into the country with a hechsher from chutz la'aretz but that have not been approved by the Rabbanut.
This is not an infrequent event: there are other kashrut concerns - usually regarding milk and gelatin - that sometimes cause the rabbanut to withhold kashrut from items that have been approved in chutz la'aretz.
So if you buy a product like this that lacks a Rabbanut stamp, you need to know why their approval has been withheld if you want to be makpid on yashan.
Our (DL) Moetza Datit provides kasrut supervision to all stores that sell food within the local council area. Part of its job is to scout out problematic products and either ask storeowners to remove them from the shelves or send out an advisory to residents about their kashrut status.
Just a few months ago our Ma'ra d'atra sent out such a letter with pictures of products from chutz la'aretz that contain chadash.
BTW, we don't keep pat or chalav yisrael and we eat regular rabbanut hechsher.

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 9:36 am
I did the same (I stopped keeping yoshon a couple of years ago when I just didn't have the budget or headspace to think harder about my pasta and flour purchases, but I still think I should go back.) Cholov and pas yisrael have room to exclude commercial products since they were takanos to prevent mingling. At least that's my understanding of it.

I'm in chutz laaretz.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:29 am
I understood that yashan is midoreisa (Not a chumrah) in Eretz Yisroel? But I could be wrong.

etky

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:37 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I understood that yashan is midoreisa (Not a chumrah) in Eretz Yisroel? But I could be wrong.

AFAIK there are opinions in the Gemara that it is me'deoraita in chutz la'aretz too.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:46 am
etky wrote:
AFAIK there are opinions in the Gemara that it is me'deoraita in chutz la'aretz too.

Yes, of course, but many rely on the opinions that it's not, chutz la'aretz, especially as there was widespread reliance on the kulos for centuries. I was under the impression that there are no such lenient opinions for Eretz Yisroel?

etky

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:53 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Yes, of course, but many rely on the opinions that it's not, chutz la'aretz, especially as there was widespread reliance on the kulos for centuries. I was under the impression that there are no such lenient opinions for Eretz Yisroel?

I think you're right about that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen