Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
S/O Loose candy from Purim WDYD?
1  2  3  Next

What do you do with inexpensive loose candy from MM?
Use all of it  
 8%  [ 14 ]
Use some of it, give away what we don't use  
 13%  [ 22 ]
Use some of it, toss the rest  
 26%  [ 42 ]
Give all of it away  
 8%  [ 14 ]
Throw out all of it  
 41%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 158

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 6:59 pm
Made in China inexpensive candies of sugar, food coloring & the artificial flavor variety.
I am curious to see the concensus on this topic. Are you a fan, recycler or tosser?
Does it make a difference if it is factory packaged vs. loose or home-packed?

And do you like receiving this or not? Why?

Stars

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:06 pm
If they're lose without a wrapper? Straight to the garbage. The wrapped ones go in a bag and whatever gets eaten till pesach, otherwise it gets thrown out. We're not very into candy.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:08 pm
Loose candy gets trashed. Too many hands touched it.

mommyla

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:17 pm
Loose candy (and popcorn, and pretzels, and whatever...) goes straight to the garbage, including candies repackaged at home. It's even worse when several types of candy/chocolate/filler (again, like popcorn) are mixed together, because even if it wasn't handled by many people, that's just unappealing and makes everything taste weird.

Wrapped candy gets eaten Very Happy

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:19 pm
Loose candy without wrappers gets thrown out as we have no clue what the hechsher is.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:21 pm
Loose candy, etc., gets tossed. I have always done this because of kashrus and germs, but this year, with the horrible flu going around I feel it even more so.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 11:20 pm
Loose candy is thrown out. Most of it goes in our shabbos party bin. Some things, like ginormous lollipops that I don't want my kid having, I give away to a teenage neighbor that comes over some times for tlc and a candy.
If I have random junk from Purim in the bin around October, I put it out in my bowl for trick or treaters (another topic, I do it because in my area it makes a kiddush Hashem).
Yes, we get a lot. I try not to give junk.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 1:10 am
Anything and everything gets eaten if I put it out in the common area at work, so that’s usually how I dispose of things we won’t eat.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:27 am
If you mean no wrapper, it gets tossed. If wrapper but individual pieces and someone will enjoy, I'd save it.
In the past I used to sort everything, and save for Shabbos parties.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:30 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If you mean no wrapper, it gets tossed. If wrapper but individual pieces and someone will enjoy, I'd save it.
In the past I used to sort everything, and save for Shabbos parties.

I’ve bought huge bags of jelly beans and repackaged them. Are those “loose”?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:39 am
watergirl wrote:

Could be.
If I knew who it was coming from, no problem. The key is to sort mm's if you do effectively. We do get stuff from people who use hechsherim I don't.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:47 am
watergirl wrote:

To me it depends how it's presented. Germs don't bother me so if you package it nicely and it didn't get smashed or mixed in with everything else then yes we'll eat it. If you layered candy and chocolate in a mason jar and now it looks like a mess, probably not.

lucky14

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 3:58 pm
The made in china part bothers me so much more than any of the other things you mentioned. I'd toss if I knew that.

farm

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 11:45 pm
Water girl, I'd toss jellybeans repackaged in a ziplock bag, or layered in a cup or vase. Just seems gross in addition to kashrut issues.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 11:54 pm
watergirl wrote:

Admit it... you weren’t wearing gloves, were you?
You stopped in the middle to answer your germ filled phone, fix your sliding off snood, put a few candies in your mouth and with your breath now all over your hands you continued to touch everyone else’s jelly beans. Did you really think people eat unwrapped candies? Yuck !

climbing613

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 12:11 am
What about chocolate covered nuts or coffee beans repackaged in a different container (not floating around or put in a ziplock bag, just put into a different smaller container) and labeled with the brand/hechsher...?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
You stopped in the middle to answer your germ filled phone, fix your sliding off snood, put a few candies in your mouth and with your breath now all over your hands you continued to touch everyone else’s jelly beans. Did you really think people eat unwrapped candies? Yuck !

Not the one you quoted, but I did wear gloves. And was extremely careful not to touch other things while packaging. Why would you think I’d touch my mouth and fix my snood while packaging food? Yuck. Is that what you’d do? If I get MM from a normal woman that I know, I’d assume she’d package in a normal way.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
lol I know all of this but as long as I don't see it in action, I eat it! ignorance is bliss;) I push away any thoughts and just dig in

salt

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 2:04 am
Eat some over Purim itself.
After that, bring the rest into work.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 5:48 am
amother wrote:

Don't think for a moment that anything coming packed from a manufacturer is sterile. Cause it's not.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics