Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Were do I eat the seuda?
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 9:29 pm
seeker wrote:
And those that wouldn't like to go, how strongly do they feel about it and are they old enough to allow them to skip it while the rest of you go?

I am unable to say they dont like to go of course its much more fun there but by the end of the day its very hard, and also it takes a long time to even got out of our house etc.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:07 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Oh. shock

(That’s a lot of food and prep!)

Thanks.

I learn something new every day here....

OP, DH is going to his yeshiva party and me to my parents because last year we tried doing half here and there but we both felt cheated.

lol! 4 seudas between purim night, 2 purim day & shushan purim!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:10 pm
2GN wrote:

This year its even more as its shabos straight after shushan purim
although a lot dont eat a a real seuda this year shushan Purim

tf

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:21 pm
seeker wrote:
I would go for it. You can't overestimate the value of happy occasions shared with relatives. I would skip it if you had serious concerns about inappropriate behavior, alcohol, etc, but if it's just crazy, wild, and junk food - live with it, it's one day, the kids will recover. You don't worry about them being "off schedule" over something as fleeting as this. So what if they don't eat normally for one day? They'll be fine. You already figured out the clean house perk! For the falling asleep, can you arrange to stay overnight by your in-laws? If not, you wake them up and drag them home. People do that on Purim. It's a crazy day but a special day. Unless your kids express their own discomfort with the wild situation (we all know some kids who just crave calm and hate noise etc) don't worry so much about them.

...and the kids remember this for their entire lives as a happy get-together.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 5:30 am
amother wrote:
I am unable to say they dont like to go of course its much more fun there but by the end of the day its very hard, and also it takes a long time to even got out of our house etc.

Unless for some reason your craziness tolerance and mental health are on the brink, these sound like very lame reasons to miss out on a once in a lifetime chance at something your kids mostly want to do.

Go. You'll get over your regrets within a week or so.

koltov

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:01 am
seeker wrote:
Unless for some reason your craziness tolerance and mental health are on the brink, these sound like very lame reasons to miss out on a once in a lifetime chance at something your kids mostly want to do.

Go. You'll get over your regrets within a week or so.

Bh my mental health is not on the brink
I am just a human, its not so easy with a big family and small children thats why I asked this question

Chayalle

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:22 am
pesek zman wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth

I only ever heard of one seudah, and it has to be started (at least) during the day. This year because it's a weekday and people are working we are starting at 5:15pm

What other seudah is there?

DH says that not only should the first seudah be started before shkia, but most of it should be served/eaten before Shkia as well. I'm hosting my whole family this year, and we are calling it for 4 p.m. (what that will actually end up being is more likely to be 4:30 or so...) That way I can likely have served the main by shkia (I have fruit, appetizer, and soup before that....)

I have one BIL who is makpid to eat a seuda earlier (not sure why. He is of yekkish descent). They eat about 11 or 12....and our meal will be their supper.

clowny

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:32 am
Just to clarify- I don’t think eating 2 seudahs is a chassidish thing. We are chassidish and we eat only one close to the Shkia, at about 5 pm. And I know many chassidish families do so.

Blumy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:21 am
Try to think of it as just one day you'll just let go. Don't worry about the kids not eating or sleeping it's just one day and the kids have so much fun. After it's over they'll get back onto a schedule.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:32 am
im chasidish and I wash twice. after megilla around noon and before shekia.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:38 am
Of course it's not easy. I get that. But sometimes we do things that are hard because they're worth it. If you're seriously unable to cope with it then that's different. Otherwise, it's just one more of the hard things that we do to give our kids special childhood memories and relationships.

pause

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 1:19 pm
2GN wrote:

We don't do a seuda on shushan purim. First time I'm hearing of that!

We do one tonight, one tomorrow noon-ish, and another one before shkia.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics