Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim v Chanuka - female heroines

salt

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 2:46 am
I was just wondering to myself about the minhag that women don't do work after lighting chanuka candles, in memory of Yehudit who saved the Jews and killed Holofernes.

It would make more sense for this minhag to apply to Purim - after all, Esther was the heroine of the Purim story.

How about women being exempt from all melacha after megilla reading on Purim night.

But then of course, nothing would be ready for Purim. Who would prepare the mishloach manot and the seuda? It certainly wouldn't work.

Chazal knew what they were doing Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 9:01 pm
salt wrote:
I was just wondering to myself about the minhag that women don't do work after lighting chanuka candles, in memory of Yehudit who saved the Jews and killed Holofernes.

It would make more sense for this minhag to apply to Purim - after all, Esther was the heroine of the Purim story.

How about women being exempt from all melacha after megilla reading on Purim night.

But then of course, nothing would be ready for Purim. Who would prepare the mishloach manot and the seuda? It certainly wouldn't work.

Chazal knew what they were doing Very Happy

You can do food prep on Chanukah after lighting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics