Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you burn your separated challah?

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 11:32 am
I only recently started making challah and I'm having trouble with the burning part and not sure I'm getting it burned enough because I'm being too cautious. What is the safest, most effective way to burn that dough ball?

momnaturally

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 11:46 am
double wrap in aluminum foil and leave in the oven.

lfab

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 11:47 am
I no longer burn mine. I used to, but always felt like the middle wasn't burnt enough and would cut open in middle. Then I tried to burn directly over a flame. Again I was never sure it was burned enough though. And it would always, always, without fail set off the smoke detectors. Then my husband told me that I don't need to burn it. Just double wrap and throw out. He said that was good enough. You can check with your rabbi if he would approve of this.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 12:00 pm
I save it for Pesach and burn with the chometz. I don't make challah every week so it doesn't accumulate so fast.

imabima

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 12:10 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I save it for Pesach and burn with the chometz. I don't make challah every week so it doesn't accumulate so fast.

I used to do this but my Rav said it's not a good idea because it would be very difficult to be sure that every bit of the chametz in burned to ashes.

esther11

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 12:48 pm
I flatten mine in foil and double wrap it. I pop it in my toaster at the highest temp, not sure how long...basically when I start to smell the burning I go check on it. Since it’s pretty flat I can crack it open and check if it’s burnt through.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 1:03 pm
mommyhood wrote:

Same here. I also burn with my chometz. DH makes sure everything is well burnt.

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 1:05 pm
Double wrap and burn in my oven.

I don't want to waste freezer space on a year's worth of dough balls to burn before Pesach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen