Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Trigger warning?!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 3:32 pm
It's so unfortunate, and slightly ridiculous, that our posts about mishloach manot now need a trigger warning in the topic. We should be able to talk about the basics of Purim without expecting anyone to be triggered.

I'm really sorry for anyone's difficulties, but I think people should take better care of their mental health.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 3:43 pm
I was the one who did that, kind of tongue in cheek, but really I do feel bad for those who are sad about not receiving much in the way of MM so I didn't want my post to hurt them,

Did you read that story (last week?) about the woman whose brother wanted to know why she has so many MM? And she tells a story about her husband opening a yeshiva, which eventually closed but he still has many talmidim.

I wanted to write about my husband's talmidim. One year they broke my table. (Fortunately there was a handy talmid who came after Purim & fixed it.) In a subsequent year they broke one of my front windows. (Ditto.)

Finally I put my foot down and said we will see them in Yeshiva, not in my house.

And every year, both Purim night and Motzai Purim, DH was up til 3 am or later, going around town locating all his boys and making sure they got back to the dorm safely, and nobody was ch'v passed out somewhere or choking on vomit.

Years later, drinking is so out of control (all year but esp Purim) and the town grew so much that it's impossible to find them all. My husband finally decided to tell parents we can no longer take responsibility for them so they are officially sent home. (Though they don't necessarily go.)

So maybe I should write an article?

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
It's so unfortunate, and slightly ridiculous, that our posts about mishloach manot now need a trigger warning in the topic. We should be able to talk about the basics of Purim without expecting anyone to be triggered.

I'm really sorry for anyone's difficulties, but I think people should take better care of their mental health.

Completely agree.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics