Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Walking out of the bathroom with a towel around the waist
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:43 am
And honestly the idea of this site being for all frum women is great, but practically, the cultural divide between the sects is huge. It’s hard to get advice and opinions from people who don’t relate to where your coming from and what your used to and what your “normal” is.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
walking from one room to another is not “walking around” just don’t look while he makes his way to the bedroom. What is the big deal. when I see things like that they don’t even register. It’s like a fleeting thought but not something that actually irks me or ruffles my feathers so to speak. I don’t see walking from bathroom to bedroom outside the realm of appropriate. It’s similar to a bathing suit being appropriate attire in a pool area.

Your DH may do as he pleases. And it does not disturb you. But I have a question: How do other people feel when they see this? Like children-in-law, an aunt etc etc.

The big deal is that it's IMO not refined and not appropriate. Think of it: Can you imagine an honourable respected Rabbi walking from bedroom to bath showing off his upper body with guests in the house? Can you? A plain yes or no will do.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:51 pm
I was raised in a not-religious home with parents who were normal, neither prudish nor nudists. Shorts and tank tops were fine, with family it was OK to walk from bathroom to bedroom in a towel for both genders, etc. Walking around in a towel would have been considered completely inappropriate in front of guests. I don't think religious sensibilities are the issue here. This is also not a pool, where bathing suits are expected and appropriate, or a mikvah. OP says it's not just from bathroom to bedroom, either, but other parts of the house.

He should at least wear a bathrobe when guests are present in respect of others. Tznius is not just for women!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
ok so just figured this out! All of you saying this is horrifying must be chasidish. You stated above that in your circles men wear shirts when going swimming. So In that case, the chest is always covered and its not Tzniyus not to. Where I come from, dh swims without a shirt. He’ll wear a towel around his waist when walking from bathroom to bedroom and it’s not offensive. I can’t say when there’s guest hell do the same, but I don’t think he’d be embarrassed if someone saw him like this for a fleeting second or two.

My DH does not follow chasiddish minhagim. This is a self taught sensitivity . My DSs wear tank tops or tees to swim and go to litvish camps. My DH grew up in a country where it was the norm to see topless women walk around in the summer and he's seen it all. So he's not this super sheltered guy. He wears a shirt whenever he leaves the bedroom. He explained to me that men have an inyan of tznius as well. This doesn't mean that it's bad if your DH bears his chest to all. Just some people are more sensitive about it. Since I've never seen my father,father in law, brothers or any other male family member without an undershirt , it would bother me if someone walked around like that.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette