Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
When will speech issues go away?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 11:44 pm
My daughter is 3 and talks very unclear. She often has tons to tell me but she cuts off half her words substitutes other sounds for example she says p for f. I usually am able to figure out what she is trying to tell me.

She recently started speech therapy. Her therapist asked me if I noticed anything about her fluency (stuttering). I am very aware she has speech issues but no I never noticed any fluency issues.

Today we went to bring mm to her morah. It was a busy house and my daughter was understandably overwhelmed. Her morah started talking to her and I noticed my daughter definitely stuttered and had a hard time finding her words and pointed to things instead of answering some questions with words.

That got me kind of nervous that her speech issue is bigger than I thought. She is an otherwise happy friendly smart well adjusted kid. Her morah told me she has friends in school though the kids dont always understand what she is saying but theyre little and it works.

I am getting a little nervous for the future here. I dont want my daughter to lose her self comfidence and not want to speak. Did any of u have kids with similiar speech issues. Did they totally go away.and at.what age.

miami85

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 12:10 am
Not quite the same speech issues but I can relate. My son started speech therapy at 18 months old, and is now 7. He talks, but still SO unclearly. His is a "severe" issue so its been a long road with no clear end in sight.

Woman of Valor

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:28 am
If your daughter is 3 then there is a good chance stuttering can resolve on its own IF you work with a Lidcombe trained speech-language pathologist. Make it a priority to go every week and do the homework they give you. It is a research based program and has helped so many kids. Don't settle for an SLP who isn't trained in this area, it's too important. Good luck! As for intelligibility, some kids become clear later than others, good that you are working with a therapist.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:46 am
WindowMagic wrote:
If your daughter is 3 then there is a good chance stuttering can resolve on its own IF you work with a Lidcombe trained speech-language pathologist. Make it a priority to go every week and do the homework they give you. It is a research based program and has helped so many kids. Don't settle for an SLP who isn't trained in this area, it's too important. Good luck! As for intelligibility, some kids become clear later than others, good that you are working with a therapist.

The stuttering or just simply losing her words is completely a nervous thing. It never comes up at home. At home its just that her speech is not clear. Is it a good sign or a bad sign if its just when shes uncomfortable?

Woman of Valor

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
The stuttering or just simply losing her words is completely a nervous thing. It never comes up at home. At home its just that her speech is not clear. Is it a good sign or a bad sign if its just when shes uncomfortable?

That is typical of many children who stutter. A percentage will resolve on their own, a percentage will stutter through life, and some can resolve through therapy. To give your child the best chance, work with a Lidcombe trained therapist.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:42 pm
My dd (now 5) didn't speak clearly, and around age 3-4 had a sort of stutter only sometimes. At this age, the stutter can be developmental and most kids get over it on their own. Also, a stutter sometimes isn't a sign of a stutter, but of a problem with word retrieval - especially if you see things like resorting to non-verbal communication (pointing etc) - this can be treated well in speech therapy. I brought my dd for an evaluation with a speech therapist, who said the letter substitution and minor word retrieval issues could just be age and I should bring her back and age 4.

Anyway, I worked with her a bit at home based o nthe speech therapists recommendations, and at around 4 and a bit, all my daughters speech problems suddenly cleared up with no further professional intervention at all. It really was just her age and develpomental and cleared up. So your dd doesn't necessarily have a bigger problem just because she has a stutter sometimes or can't express herself clearly.

Also, the biggest indicator of a language problem is understanding, not expressing, so if she otherwise seems fine, she most likely does no have a bigger problem.

Keep going with her therapy, sounds like she's headed in the right direction.

tweety1

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:24 pm
I wanted to have dd evaluated cuz of a stutter at age 3. YVY told me to call them back if she's still stuttering cuz upto age 5 it's very often part of development. It bh resolved on it's own a few months later
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers