Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
3 month old isn’t reaching/grabbing yet

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 7:32 pm
I’m a bit concerned about my baby’s development.
He is my third so I pretty much expected him to develop like my previous ones did.
He is an adorable little boy, has his fussy times but also sleeps quite a bit. Some days all he does is eat and go right back to sleep. Which brings me to my concern. Both my other ones were fascinated by the baby gym at this age and even younger. They loved to bat at the toys, and reached out to grab objects.
This one when I put him down on the gym seems to not know what to do, and after 3 minutes tops he starts crying. The only thing that keeps him quiet aside from eating and sleeping is the musical mobile on his bed.
He doesn’t reach for things AT ALL. Seems to not have the concept of grasping at all, or make any sort of meaningful motions with his hands.
Otherwise he seems up to par in development. He is socially engaging, smiles, even giggles, and coos. His vision and hearing seem fine, and he holds his head up nicely. WWYD?

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 7:35 pm
Have him evaluated through early intervention.

One of my kids was the same, and having him evaluated, and then started on therapy, was one of the smartest decisions I ever made.

Is it possible he has low muscle tone? That was my baby's issue, but even if it something else, it totally pays to have him/her evaluated, it's free and there's no downside.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 7:37 pm
Can he have low muscle tone even if he holds his head up okay?

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 8:05 pm
amother wrote:
Can he have low muscle tone even if he holds his head up okay?

Well, I don't remember what the norm is, and what he is supposed to be doing at three months. Some of my kids were able to hold up their head at birth, some at four weeks, so I don't know if he's behind or not...

If you are not sure, you can wait another month, but again, I just don't see the downside of getting evaluated.

Just to reassure you - if he is smiling, and cooing, etc. then he is probably ok, brain-wise, but this is a different part of development.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 10:13 pm
Most of my 6 kids did not reach out or show much interest in much more than food and sleep. They are all kh doing very well. Interestingly the 2 that did enjoy the gyms and reached for it etc were both more independent toddlers and earlier talkers. Not that I think it means much since other children of mine have turned out more confident, verbal and independent but later on... But I'm just the type to analyze these things!! Not that you can be sure all is well w your baby but I wouldn't worry just yet...wait a bit longer...not all babys develop at the same pace.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 10:30 pm
amother wrote:
Most of my 6 kids did not reach out or show much interest in much more than food and sleep. They are all kh doing very well. Interestingly the 2 that did enjoy the gyms and reached for it etc were both more independent toddlers and earlier talkers. Not that I think it means much since other children of mine have turned out more confident, verbal and independent but later on... But I'm just the type to analyze these things!! Not that you can be sure all is well w your baby but I wouldn't worry just yet...wait a bit longer...not all babys develop at the same pace.

Thank you that’s reassuring. My two older ones both spoke very early though one of them crawled and walked very late.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 11:46 pm
What did your pediatrician say?

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 11:56 pm
As long as things seem basically normal I don't stress about all the milestones, and actually I don't remember which ones go where except for the first smiles, eye contact, etc... those are the ones that generally have me most concerned. I leave the rest of it up to the pediatrician to help me know what's normal. (These ones too, obviously, but I'm just more attentive to the ones I mentioned). I have twin 3-month olds now, and when I read this thread title my first thought was, "they're supposed to be grabbing things now? cool, I should try that tomorrow and see if they can do it!" ;-)

If you're concerned then by all means ask your pediatrician. (Lord knows I go to every appointment with lists of questions!) But from what I know, if things are off target developmentally, there are usually more significant signs than minor differences in when they start to grab things or roll over, etc.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 5:18 pm
My daughter has a motor delay (she's 5 years old now). If I recall correctly, not reaching for things isn't a red flag until 4 months. But, I am a big proponent of early intervention, so get an evaluation. If they tell you everything is fine, you won't worry. And if he needs PT, then the earlier the better.

Also, sleeping a lot is fine as long as baby is alert during the times when he's awake. If he seems sluggish during awake times, then a prompt evaluation is warranted.

So you can go for an evaluation now, but I think it probably makes sense wait a few more weeks until the 4 month mark and go then if he's not caught up. PT helped my dd so much as a baby, and we started a month later than I would have on my own (per pediatrician), but she caught up so quickly I don't think it mattered.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 11:41 am
This is terribly early to worry shock
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics