Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How do I explain an evaluation?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 5:56 am
I'm iy"h taking my dd to an overall evaluation. How do I explain to her what will b happening without causing her to feel different or that something is very wrong with her?

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:07 am
How old is she?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:15 am
6 yrs old. she is a bright kid. school claims she is showing signs of ADD

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:19 am
amother wrote:
6 yrs old. she is a bright kid. school claims she is showing signs of ADD

I think you're over thinking this for a 6 year old. A simple "we are going to find out what you're really good at, and what you need a little more help with" is fine.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 9:05 am
I agree with Amber, whose suggested wording is great. If you don't make a big deal out of it, she won't either.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 9:20 am
Or you can say a person is going to give you a test to see all the things that you know how to do.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 9:44 am
I told my six year old that we are going to someone like his OT who will talk to him and play a bit and do some other things hopefully fun.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 10:27 am
What about a teen who may need to be evaluated and my main hesitation is that my DD will freak out. the lines above are great for a 6 yr old, but she won't accept them. she has to know EVERYTHING!

Suggestions??? Sorry to hijack.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 10:44 am
For a teen, she probably has some self awareness.

Something like, "I'm arranging some tests to help us learn more about you, and give us ideas about some of the things that you have found frustrating or difficult in school."

Maybe invite her to share her feelings and concerns.

Validate that it is sometimes upsetting to find out if you are different, but actually, no two people are alike.

I tell my kids that it's a big bracha to get a diagnosis earlier in life. It gives you much more strength and ability to know your own challenges and find effective means to deal with them when that process happens in childhood.

And there is a relief in knowing what's going on.

I've never been formally evaluated for ADHD, but am pretty sure I have it, since I had many of the kid symptoms, and 3 of my 4 kids have a diagnosis of ADHD.

But it wasn't known when I was young. So I went through child, teen, and young adult years convinced that I was a weirdo and a misfit. And that it was an unchangeable fact of life.

Eventually, I learned to cope, and eventually, through therapy, learned how to accept and like myself.

But I think the world my kids inhabit is a better one, where they know why they are the way they are, and that there are proven ways to make life more productive.

And because I believe this, and talk about it, so do my kids.

mamashaina

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 5:20 pm
Where can I take my 12 year old son for an ed eval in Brooklyn?

teachkids

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 6:14 pm
When I had a student being pulled for an eval and she was very overwhelmed I explained it as "You know how you sometimes get very confused (or insert whatever behavior)? Today someone's going to work with you for a bit to help us figure out why you're getting stuck so that you can be more comfortable in the classroom"

mamashaina

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 6:15 pm
Any recommendations on where to go for a 12 year old boy eval? Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)