Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Did you leave your original career path??

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:07 pm
If so, what made you leave? Or switch career paths, if that's what you did? And at what point did you make this choice? I have particular interest in people that left not because of better pay or the part-time/full-time issue, but because of some other reason. Thanks!!

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:14 pm
In August/ September of 2001, I got physically sick enough with something that would ultimately be chronic that I felt it prudent to break a contract. I have a masters in ed and I was working in a school. Leaving a school position in September pretty much meant switching careers and I was good with that. What school in that city would hire me in the future knowing that I left a contract in September?

I took time for my health and then went an entirely different direction. NO regrets. Except for all of the student loans. I want my $$$ back--- lol.

cnc

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:16 pm
I did a double major and my career primarly involved one of them. I’m currently doing something very part time that is not related to my degree. When (and if) I go back to a full time career I plan on making a career change to something that involves my other major. I’m very burnt out and it’s time for a shift....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:49 pm
I did. Many variables went into it; the opportunity came up, I didn't look for it. It wasn't better pay per se but it was more stable pay (salary vs hourly), it was outside the home and I was feeling less and less motivated being home by myself all day with a new boss across the country and not even able to respond to me for a few hours. The new job offered me a feeling of fulfillment and giving beyond what my workload at the time was doing, and it also worked relatively well with my kids' schedules to minimize the stress of needing to always work when they were off to make more money (hourly). I really enjoy what I do now, but still manage to fulfill my need to keep up with my old career via freelancing in the evenings and sometimes integrating that skillset to improve something in my new work situation.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:56 pm
My former career was incompatible with becoming BT.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 10:11 pm
Thank you all! Hashem Yaazor - that sounds like my ideal dream!
Did anyone leave because the job/career was too stressful? If so, what made you finally 'have enough' and are you happy with your change?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 10:42 pm
The hours weren't working for my family, and were necessary to the job. Dh was the primary breadwinner (by both temperament and salary) and had long hours that necessitated my being home/available more than I could be with that career, especially with a child with a chronic illness who needed a lot of medical and therapy appointments. So I dropped out of the workforce for a bit and then picked up something I could do from home with flexible hours.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:11 pm
I left teaching. I still haven't found a new career which I'm not happy about, but I'm glad I'm no longer teaching. The kids were awful and I'm just not cut out for it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:16 pm
My career involved long hours. When I became a mom I wanted to spend as much time with my children as possible so I gave it up for part-time work that I can do from home. When my kids get older, perhaps I will return to my career because I really enjoyed it very much and it pays very well.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:21 pm
I wasn't successful at my first career. Baruch Hashem, I found a career I love that loves me back. I wasn't married when I made the switch. I don't know what I would have done if I had family obligations and realized I couldn't continue at my first career.

Boca00

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 12:34 am
I left teaching because it was too stressful. I was unhappy with the school I worked in, unhappy with all the work and prep required out of school... Though I did love the actual teaching.

Now I work in business and LOVE it. I love the company I work for and that is huge for me. I love not (usually) having to work from home.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 1:35 am
I found this on LinkedIn. Inspirational.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/.....29729

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 9:07 pm
Boca00 wrote:
I left teaching because it was too stressful. I was unhappy with the school I worked in, unhappy with all the work and prep required out of school... Though I did love the actual teaching.

Now I work in business and LOVE it. I love the company I work for and that is huge for me. I love not (usually) having to work from home.

At what point did you decide that you had enough, especially if you enjoy the actual teaching? How many years did you work at this job? Did you just decide not to renew your contract one year/say you're coming back, or did something prompt you to make the change?
I'm trying to figure out at what point does something become too much thanks

thank you all!

Boca00

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 9:12 pm
I worked in education for 3 years. The 1st year was in an awesome school and I looked forward to going every day. Then I moved and spent 2 years in another school that I was very unhappy in. I had almost no positive feedback until I told them I was leaving... And then they went on and on with positive feedback. Too little too late. There was also so much pressure.

When I was so unhappy with the environment and so stressed from all the pressure, I knew it was time to quit. It wasn't a lightbulb moment, it was a build-up of unhappiness and stress and I knew I needed out.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 05 2018, 9:51 pm
Im am also a teacher thinking of switching bc theres no flexibility and it requires so much prep and grading time which means I have homework. It is hard to have hw when I need to spend the time doing hw with my kids. Also, the environment is very stressful bc the bosses are always negative and are never appreciative. They expect the impossible and always criticize. But, I do love working with students.

Meanwhile I have not found anythingelse yet so I wouldnt switch out now.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 1:15 am
What are these flexible part time jobs you all have?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics