Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Food safety question

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 4:15 pm
We are in a financial tough time and someone sometimes brings food she gets to us.

She recently brought food that someone cleaned out from their freezer and when I looked at it later, the expiration dates look questionable. Please let me know what you think about the following:

Frozen cottage cheese that expired May 2017. It has been in the freezer the whole time. The same with sour cream.

A Sealed bag of the prunes dated 2016.

Frozen gefilte fish dated 2016.

Ok or throw out? How long do these stay in the freezer? The prunes are not frozen.

BH for amother!

Raw

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 7:03 pm
Personally I’d thaw them out (in the fridge) and give them a smell and taste test and then decide.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 7:54 pm
Raw wrote:
Personally I’d thaw them out (in the fridge) and give them a smell and taste test and then decide.

This. If they're ok, the dairy items might be better off being used in baked dishes (baked ziti, etc) for texture.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:07 pm
Thanks!

I can do that to the milchigs. And I can smell the prunes. The fish is frozen raw...

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:49 pm
The issue, to me, is how confident can you be that the freezer was working continuously for the past 2+ years? I'd toss the gefilte fish just in case because I know of some serious food poisoning cases that happened due to raw fish that got defrosted and refrozen. The dairy could probably survive thawing and refreezing even if it did happen, and you would be able to smell if it's gone off.

Prunes just check for bugs, even if the package was apparently sealed you never know what could develop.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:49 pm
I agree with seeker about the fish.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:02 pm
Will toss the fish. Thanks!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen