Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
When to turn the kitchen over?

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:35 pm
I've never done this before. When are you turning over? Why are you doing it then? What are the pros and cons of turning over before Shabbos versus after Shabbos?

Thank you!!

pause

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:36 pm
Of course after Shabbas. This year is the easiest to do after Shabbas because you've got a whole week to cook/bake Pesach'dig; other years there's way less time after Shabbas before Yomtov.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:40 pm
Before shabbos is too early in my opinion unless you have something that will keep you very busy the next week like working in a grocery.
You don't need to spend more than a week cooking for a week of Yom tov.
I will be having guest and am thinking of turning over on Sunday night/ Monday. Grocery order Monday/Tuesday. And cooking Tuesday evening through Friday(pacing myself cuz I'm pregnant and tire easily)

mommyla

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:47 pm
I like to do it at least a few days in advance and set up a "chametz station" in the dining room - with toaster, sandwich maker, microwave etc. - so we can continue to eat as normally as possible. I like to turn over right after Shabbos because it's easier to keep the sink cold for 24 hours (before kashering) over Shabbos - we use a lot of plastic on that last Shabbos.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:49 pm
The sink needs to sit unused for 24 hours before I can kashered correct? And it needs to be clean before it sits for 24 hours... So are you going to clean the sink and the ovens Etc on MS and then kasher them Sunday night? I think I'll feel better about the whole process next year when I've already been through it one time! Thank you for your responses.

L K

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 3:06 pm
This years plan

Finish all your baking and maybe even cooking for shabbos hagadol a few days or even a week before.
freeze your challah and cakes.
Freeze or refrigerate chicken soup, schnitzel

Have stove and oven cleaned the week before shabbos hagadol.
Have kitchen cleaned before shabbos.

Your sink will sit not used with hot water over shabbos. You can kasher Motzei shabbos or sunday, whatever is easier.
The few dishes from shabbos can be washed over bathroom or laundry sink.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 3:10 pm
The plan is to be finished with kitchen before shabbos - not use over Shabbos so can kasher right at MS.
Eat on disposables over plastic tablecloth. Probably keep crockpot in laundry room and anything that needs to be hot for Friday night on top of it.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 3:26 pm
This year I hope to turn over teusday ih. I don't need more than 3 days for cooking

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 4:34 pm
I like to turn over early, so there's less stress with the cooking, and I can enjoy my grandchildren more.

I'm preparing and freezing for Shabbos Hagadol and following few days, will have one Shabbos potluck meal at a friend's who goes away.

I try to have 2 weeks of meals planned ahead at this time of year, to eat up what needs to get finished, and to make sure none of my picky eaters is too miserable during the turnover process.

My plan is to kasher the kitchen before Shabbos, but leave one oven for chometz warming, and have a microwave, toaster, and maybe crockpot set up in the DR. I'll start Pesach cooking after Shabbos (I work Sundays and will be working weekdays until Wednesday, so just a bit each day). On Thursday, I'll close up the last chometzdik things.

tweety1

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 9:22 pm
Kasher motzei shabbos

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:14 am
ra_mom wrote:
The plan is to be finished with kitchen before shabbos - not use over Shabbos so can kasher right at MS.
Eat on disposables over plastic tablecloth. Probably keep crockpot in laundry room and anything that needs to be hot for Friday night on top of it.

Thank you everyone!

Ra mom,
If your kitchen isn't mastered yet, why is the crock pot in the laundry room? I'm just trying to understand.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics