Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Bracha Goetz books

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:10 pm
I want to start teaching my child- almost three- the ideas of private parts, personal space, telling Imma or Abba if someone touches a private part, etc.
What's the difference between Let's Stay Safe, Let's Stay Pure, and (looks like it is new) Talking about Personal Privacy?
There's no Judaica store where I live, so I'm can't go into a store to look at them.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:19 pm
I don't have lets stay pure but I own the other 2. Lets stay safe touches on all areas of safety including bikes, fires, strangers. It mentions body privacy but doesn't go into a lot of detail. Talking about privacy is specific to body privacy/unwanted touch. It's not new it was just out of print for a couple of years. I have both but I like talking about privacy better.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:21 pm
I just bought let’s stay safe. I’m worried it will scare my kids, what age did you read it with yours?

mommyhood

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:36 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I just bought let’s stay safe. I’m worried it will scare my kids, what age did you read it with yours?

My kids are young I didn't find it scared them. You can skip pages or change the words if you feel parts are too much. It's not something I have my kids read on their own, I keep it separate from the regular books.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 2:34 pm
None of her books are great, tbh. There are better options out there.

We like "no-no the seal", but there are lots.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 10:52 am
mommyhood wrote:
My kids are young I didn't find it scared them. You can skip pages or change the words if you feel parts are too much. It's not something I have my kids read on their own, I keep it separate from the regular books.

Ok, because my oldest is sensitive so I don’t want to worry dc. But I want to them to be aware on some level. Oldest is in preschool.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 2:18 pm
Is the book let’s talk about personal privacy, good for 9 yr old? Or is it more for younger kids?

angelgirl

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 3:14 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I don't have lets stay pure but I own the other 2. Lets stay safe touches on all areas of safety including bikes, fires, strangers. It mentions body privacy but doesn't go into a lot of detail. Talking about privacy is specific to body privacy/unwanted touch. It's not new it was just out of print for a couple of years. I have both but I like talking about privacy better.

My exact thoughts. Both are good.

abaker

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 3:28 pm
I have let's stay safe and also personal privacy. I read them to my kids all the time. They are well written and really give over important info in a fun way. The talking about personal privacy book is more wordy and a more specific topic so I think it would be okay for a 9 year old as well. My kids are little...I read it with everyone even my 1 year old. These topics can be uncomfortable but are so important to talk about from a young age. I think both books aren't scary, just informative and can help your kids be prepared and recognize when something is not safe.

Leleh

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:56 pm
I learned about Talking about Personal Privacy from a 9 year old Modern Orthodox student of mine. I believe that it's a wonderful resource and I read it to my 3 and 5 year old regularly (never too early to start the conversation). They actually really love the book and the illustrations are fabulous (Shout out to the extremely talented Shepsil Scheinberg).

Let's Stay Safe is written in rhyme and covers all areas of safety. It was not as straightforward as Personal Privacy (the force of the words were not as strong bc it's written in rhyme). It has a lighter feel to it. I hope this makes sense.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:37 pm
Thanks I ordered it !

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:44 pm
I think let's stay safe is written in a very positive, upbeat way so as not to make people anxious. It kind of slips in the part about personal body safety. That was the point, it was first created when people were becoming more aware of the issues but very squeamish about discussing it, so this was supposed to be a toned down way of just getting it on the agenda.

There was another book that was better for details but I forgot what it was called, saw it at a friend. Maybe it was the one mentioned here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers