Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How can I say this nicely? I'm so farekelt...
Previous  1  2

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:59 am
amother wrote:
they leave the seat and sides and all around bloody.

Is that bloody as in the British expletive, or do they actually leave blood on the seat and sides and all around? Even if there's a good chance that one of your nurses is menstruating on any given day, that's a lot of places to get blood on.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 7:15 am
This sounds familiar. Have you posted about this before? Please tell me yes, and that there arent more than one woman who has this issue!? Are these nurses actual RNs? Or are they “nurses” who took a 6 week course?

For sure tell the agency! Whats the hold up? Why havent you?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 3:27 pm
watergirl wrote:
This sounds familiar. Have you posted about this before? Please tell me yes, and that there arent more than one woman who has this issue!? Are these nurses actual RNs? Or are they “nurses” who took a 6 week course?

I may have posted about this before. I've definitely posted about my nurses in the past. we've had dirty toilet seats in the past but not as bad as this weekend and coming one after the other.
but as a btw, speaking to 2 of my fellow trach mommas- they both had this issue! one mom said her nurse asked her for pads.
We're talking about LPN's that need to take care of highly complex medical babies.

I'm not wasting my breath to sound like the most difficult mom on planet earth to this agency. they don't listen when we ask of more important things...

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 3:39 pm
watergirl wrote:

I'm obviously not the OP, but if she's in the U.S., private-duty nurses are typically LPNs unless required to supervise an oxygen ventilator. LPNs (licensed practical nurse) generally complete a single academic year of training.

In all but a few cases, the nursing agency isn't actually working for the family; they are working for the insurance company. The agency is selected by the insurance company, and while most agencies want to keep everyone happy, the patient/patient's family is not really their client.

The unfortunate reality is that, because the training to be an LPN is relatively short, the field attracts a lot of people who are competent but who have complex or difficult lives themselves.

For example, in my experience, there were a lot of single mothers who'd had their children in their early teens. Most of these women had more grit and tenacity in their little fingers than I have in my whole body; they'd been raised in poverty and dysfunction and had dragged themselves up to the point of getting a year of training so that they could send their own kids to good schools. Many literally worked two full-time jobs to keep kids in college or private schools.

But some may have different standards of hygiene or behavior -- and some may just be too tired to notice. That's why it's so delicate -- as the mom, you're supervising employees who don't truly work for you and who require a light touch when it comes to pointing out their shortcomings.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 3:43 pm
OP, Hugs! That's disgusting!

Aside from trying to change your nurses, which is really not a viable option in most cases (I speak from experience, sadly) I would do what I do whenever I'm at the mall or on a plane with my family. I come prepared.

I buy clorox wipes by the case and don't let my children do anything anywhere without wiping down all surfaces wearing disposable gloves. It might take an extra minute but otherwise it's a gross life... Good luck! Sorry it's happening in your home..☹️

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
Doing this will be like 'reinventing' myself... I will have to work up the courage to do it... maybe I'll put my husband to the task!!

Hugs! But don’t get dh to do it, this has to be a woman to woman kind of chat.

Ps- what does farekelt mean?

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
The irony is, that a couple of weeks ago, my husband got a call from one of the HR managers saying that one of the nurses complained that my home is not sanitary enough... (this is with me cleaning after kids all day so yes it gets messy with 3 little kids, but always a 'new mess'...)

I'll echo DrMom on this: now you have an excuse to present the new rules to everyone. And even better, you have someone else to blame.
Quote:
"Mary, I got a call from Happy Home Health last week that we have some sanitation problems in our home. Some of the nurses are concerned about it. They suggested we make some changes to improve the situation, so I'm posting a checklist to make sure the bathroom stays clean.

I have a new container for used sanitary products, and I now have Clorox wipes available to wipe the seat and rim of the toilet after each use. Also, if we use the sink for anything other than soap and water, we need to wipe it down, too.

Obviously, I'm going to try to keep up with messes the other kids make, too. If you see something that I've missed, just let me know. I want everyone to be comfortable here."

If you can identify a specific offender, continue to let the agency be the bad guy:

Quote:
"Mary, just a reminder to wipe the seat and rim of the toilet after each use. I know, it seems a little much, but I really don't want to get in trouble again with the agency. You know how they are."

Seriously, OP, I think dealing with the nurses' personalities and quirks is Hashem's way of making our kids' health issues seem easy-peasy. To this day, I'd happily change trachs or insert NG tubes rather than serve as the charge nurse in my own home.

happyone

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 5:09 pm
I got lucky and was only approved for High skilled RNs. (Those have advanced training ) I still can write a book on their disrespect of privacy, lack of basic hygiene, and omg incomptency. It's not limited to LPNs
I will be the first to understand that despite the hardships, a good nurse, a competent nurse and a nurse that actually shows up for her shift is hard to come by. Sometimes we have to put up with these difficulties if You are comfor table with the care your son/daughter is getting .

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:05 pm
In my experience, People are less likely to ignore signs than regular speech.
"Before leaving this toilet, please turn around and make sure it is the way you found it.
Please look again and make sure there is no blood or urine on the seat and on the floor!"

The more detailed, the more they understand.
With regular speech people become defensive and just dont get it!

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 6:43 pm
Fox wrote:
I'm obviously not the OP, but if she's in the U.S., private-duty nurses are typically LPNs unless required to supervise an oxygen ventilator. LPNs (licensed practical nurse) generally complete a single academic year of training.

In all but a few cases, the nursing agency isn't actually working for the family; they are working for the insurance company. The agency is selected by the insurance company, and while most agencies want to keep everyone happy, the patient/patient's family is not really their client.

The unfortunate reality is that, because the training to be an LPN is relatively short, the field attracts a lot of people who are competent but who have complex or difficult lives themselves.

For example, in my experience, there were a lot of single mothers who'd had their children in their early teens. Most of these women had more grit and tenacity in their little fingers than I have in my whole body; they'd been raised in poverty and dysfunction and had dragged themselves up to the point of getting a year of training so that they could send their own kids to good schools. Many literally worked two full-time jobs to keep kids in college or private schools.

But some may have different standards of hygiene or behavior -- and some may just be too tired to notice. That's why it's so delicate -- as the mom, you're supervising employees who don't truly work for you and who require a light touch when it comes to pointing out their shortcomings.

I was actually thinking OP’s nurse may have been one of those baby nurses that arent even LPNs. That was before she clarified that its an LPN.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:20 pm
Fox wrote:

You so hit the nail on the head!!! this exactly! every single detail you wrote...

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:22 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Hugs! But don’t get dh to do it, this has to be a woman to woman kind of chat.

Ps- what does farekelt mean?

like disgusted, grossed out

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 11:28 pm
happyone wrote:
I got lucky and was only approved for High skilled RNs. (Those have advanced training ) I still can write a book on their disrespect of privacy, lack of basic hygiene, and omg incomptency. It's not limited to LPNs
I will be the first to understand that despite the hardships, a good nurse, a competent nurse and a nurse that actually shows up for her shift is hard to come by. Sometimes we have to put up with these difficulties if You are comfortable with the care your son/daughter is getting .

No words to describe that. (re first bolded)
Can I have a few chapters in your book?
I'm starting to think it is impossible... (re second bolded)
I was trying to switch my mandate over to RN's as they are not allowed to put a trach in if it accidentally falls out. I still can't wrap my brain around that one...
I am NOT comfortable with the care she gets, so I end up doing most of it... they are there as glorified babysitters so when I'm busy with my other kids or I need to run out for a little (rarely) they are basically there to make sure her breathing remains stable... otherwise I would have long since gotten rid of 'em...

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 12:14 am
Fox wrote:

As a btw, wanted to point out that with my insurance even with a vent you will only be approved for a LPN.
ironically, my friend had RN's for her child when baby had NG tube. when baby was trach/vented and got g-tube she was switched to RN. so go figure how the system works...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette