Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
My potato kugel tastes revolting-- help!
Previous  1  2  3

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:21 pm
crust wrote:
Awwww! Your kugel must be the real stuff!
We used to hand grate for years after the Braun was on the market.

I make 6-8 potatoes quite often but never without the processor. embarrassed
I'm afraid my kids have no idea what a hand grater is!

No need to blush! You make a large amount every week. The truth is , I hate dealing with machines on the counter. I’m crazy particular with washing up the machine after using it, so I would rather avoid it. Surprised

Pesach, you’re not using a hand grater? I use it a LOT on pesach.

crust

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:30 pm
No. I dont use a grater on Pesach.
If I cant use the processor (Shabbos, YT) I find other side dishes than chremzlech. Smile

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 10:33 pm
crust wrote:
No. I dont use a grater on Pesach.
If I cant use the processor (Shabbos, YT) I find other side dishes than chremzlech. Smile

I see. I use it for the potato kugel pesach. Just like all year round. I have a better grater on pesach though.

fbmommy

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:06 pm
I used to grate my kugel by hand every week until a very heavy baby killed my right arm. Recently my kids were begging for hand grated kugel again so my husband just picked up a new grater and they grated it themselves tonight!

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Mar 09 2018, 12:44 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Crust, I'm trying your recipe this week. It looks much better than mine! (More oil and more eggs).

Would you say 10 large potatoes = one five pound bag?

Oh, wait - no onions?

I do similar to crusts recipe- its 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup seltzer to 10 pot./10 eggs. I often cheat and add a little more oil though!
eta: just finished reading entire thread. trick to white potato kugel I vitamin C. I haven't tried it but I know someone who does.
you can add or omit onions to any recipe your not putting in that much onion for it to make a difference in the amount of liquid/eggs using. so just do whatever suits your taste.

Best is to buy the large potatoes by the pound and to that use one egg per potato. when you use potatoes from the bag they are half the size.

this recipe comes from one of the pesach cookbooks (tastes much better with shmaltz!) but we make it all year round. bake at 500 for an hr and if you want the overnight taste- lower temp to 250 and cover. and bake for as long as you like.

another thing I find is that sometimes the eggs will settle on the bottom. for that I think the trick is not to over-process/blend the eggs.
Gut Shabbos!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes