Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Q about pandas

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 12:42 pm
My 4 year old is an extremely easy going kid. He had strep two weeks ago and was on antibiotics. Now he's better but being way more wild than usual. All the examples I can give would be normal for any other kid. Like, he was so excited I gave him a cup of chocolate milk that he danced away with it, spilling everywhere. He had a ten minute tantrum when I said he couldn't have an entire container if cookies, and hit me when I started playing piano. He isn't sitting down very much, rather running and banging into things. I know these behaviors would benormal for an average kid, but his normal is angelic. Can this be pandas? Is there even treatment for that?

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 12:49 pm
If the strep was two weeks ago, you mean he's been off antibiotics for less than a week? It definitely sounds possible to be PANDAS but I'd keep an eye on it a little longer to see if he just needs some time to get back to himself. When did the behaviors start - was it during or after the antibiotic treatment?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 12:50 pm
There's usually a sudden onset of change that you would notice and be able to pinpoint to. Something like 2 weeks ago he was himself, and then starting from x time period, I don't know where my sweet child went.

Symptoms could be anxiety, fear, irritability, tics, rage, regression, etc.

The symptoms can vary but whatever the neurological symptoms are, the identifying factor is usually that the changes are abrupt and dramatic.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 12:51 pm
seeker wrote:
If the strep was two weeks ago, you mean he's been off antibiotics for less than a week? It definitely sounds possible to be PANDAS but I'd keep an eye on it a little longer to see if he just needs some time to get back to himself. When did the behaviors start - was it during or after the antibiotic treatment?

After. Started yesterday. Been off medication for about a week.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 10:48 pm
I don't think you can test him for pandas yet because his blood levels will not be back to normal. You need to wait a while after a strep to test it. But I might be wrong. I know Dr. Shulman in Brooklyn is an expert on pandas you might want to ask her.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:22 pm
From my experience, it can definitely be related to the strep.

I would probably just put my child on another 10 days of medicine-- but zythromax only this time and see if that conquers it.

A single occurence of bad behavior after strep can be just that. And just need a little more help to rid the body of the strep.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 12:25 pm
It probably is pandas. I ignored symptoms for such a long time in my child for the same reason you are writing OP. All the things she was doing were technically age appropriate. They just weren't appropriate for her, because she was normally such a good child. Please get help for him right away, the sooner it is caught and treated the better the outcome will be. One way to test at home if the change in behavior is due to brain inflammation from strep that became autoimmune is to put the child on full dose ibuprophen around the clock. If the behaviors resolve you will know they were caused by inflammation. If they don't resolve, it does NOT mean it's not pandas.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:19 pm
Check his tonsils, too. DD had non stop strep for a year and a half. She was pretty wild, but I didn't think it was "too much".

We got her tonsils out, and not only did the strep disappear, but practially overnight she turned into the sweet, kind, loving little girl she used to be. It was like someone gave me a new kid!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 6:32 pm
BTW whenever any of my kids were on Zithromax their behavior was out of hand and I've heard it from some others as well. So just that you know if you put your kid on it you can expect some misbehavior while they're on it until it leaves their system

Undefined

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:06 pm
What happens if you don't treat pandas, does it eventually leave their system or can it cause lifetime problems? Also, is it too late to treat after several months?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:07 pm
Undefined wrote:
What happens if you don't treat pandas, does it eventually leave their system or can it cause lifetime problems? Also, is it too late to treat after several months?

It can turn into lifelong problems c"v.
You can still treat it. Don't wait a minute longer.

riseandshine

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 7:19 pm
How do you treat pandas?

Undefined

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:33 pm
I'm also wondering how you treat it. If it's with antibiotics but the child doesn't have strep anymore will that even work? And how do you test for it if it's late? one more question- can a child get pandas even if they didn't have actual strep

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:41 pm
Undefined wrote:
I'm also wondering how you treat it. If it's with antibiotics but the child doesn't have strep anymore will that even work? And how do you test for it if it's late? one more question- can a child get pandas even if they didn't have actual strep
Antibiotics will work even if the child doesn't have active strep. There is no real test for pandas, it is diagnosed based on symptoms only, but bloodwork can give you clues. You would want to look at ASO, antiDnaseB and streptozyme. Yes, a child can have pandas even if they never had confirmed strep. Either they had a strep infection and it was never diagnosed because they had atypical symptoms or were asymptomatic (very typical for pandas kids) or their symptoms can be triggered by other infections. In this case it would be called PANS instead of pandas but it's essentially the same thing. Eexcept if the trigger is viral you would treat with anti virals instead of antibiotics.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 8:42 pm
riseandshine wrote:
How do you treat pandas?
long term antibiotics is generally the first line of treatment.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 11:07 am
I had a suspicion that my son had Pandas because he came down with some severe anxiety issues suddenly out of the blue. He wasn't sick, or didn't show any signs of physical illness. He's been put on anti anxiety medication and when I mentioned Pandas I was almost laughed at saying even if he had it he would still be treated the same way, with the anxiety medication. The doctor also said there's no real way to prove that he has it. Is there any way I could convince the doctor to test and is it really worth it? It's been around 6 months since the symptoms began. Thanks

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 3:10 pm
My son had strep beginning of february and about a week later started having crazy rages, moodiness, irritability, aggression. My doc does not believe in pandas and just recommended psych testing. After doing a ton of research I started him last week on oil of oregano, fish oil, vitamin d, vitamin c, probiotics (without the strep strain). He has had an amazingly calm week so far! I don't know if it's coincidental, placebo affect or really working, but I will keep at it until we find more direction!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
I had a suspicion that my son had Pandas because he came down with some severe anxiety issues suddenly out of the blue. He wasn't sick, or didn't show any signs of physical illness. He's been put on anti anxiety medication and when I mentioned Pandas I was almost laughed at saying even if he had it he would still be treated the same way, with the anxiety medication. The doctor also said there's no real way to prove that he has it. Is there any way I could convince the doctor to test and is it really worth it? It's been around 6 months since the symptoms began. Thanks
Find another doctor. If you are in NY I can recommend a few that are pandas literate. There is no definitive test for pandas. You can self-treat too, but that route is involved and costly.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:

Go to another doctor. I had to pay out of pocket since our doctor also believed as yours did, which is why I pushed off going and getting treatment. I regret that. Treatment works quicker and better the sooner you go. Don't wait any longer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics