Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"If you can't say somethin nice, don't say nothin at all"

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 11 2018, 11:32 pm
https://alittlepieceofeden.wor.....-1357

I think this article is really nice.

and also, no staring please, as in standing for 5-10 minutes and just staring and staring and staring. move on.
at one point I told one of the kids who were fascinated by my daughters 'looks' that she looked for long enough and she can go back to her mommy.
I mean really, moms, take your kids and talk to them about some people being 'different'. as *not* self conscious as I am, and with pride I walk with my SN child, everything has a gevul. and staring definitely does as well.

Thank you. vent over. (for now!)

edited. wrong link first time

tf

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 12:22 am
It's a shame there isn't a hug option. I would've hugged you. And, yes. People and children do stare,and that is soooooo mean. Sorry that you're going through this difficult social micro aggression.
Hug Hug

Miri7

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 12:25 am
Someone bought my DD the children’s book “we are all wonders”. Now when we talk about how people all look different, DD will say ‘...but we are all wonders!!”

I think it does a nice job at introducing this idea - and also touches on how it hurts when people stare and say things.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 12:33 am
Miri7 wrote:
Someone bought my DD the children’s book “we are all wonders”. Now when we talk about how people all look different, DD will say ‘...but we are all wonders!!”

I think it does a nice job at introducing this idea - and also touches on how it hurts when people stare and say things.

I don't know this specific book, but just happens to be that even before my child with sn was born we always had books on special needs awareness and with kids with different abilities, so b'H my kids accepted our sn child with no questions asked.
actually last wk my 5 yo wanted to know why I wanted to 'born' a baby thats sick.

At one point in the craziness of the shop we were in today, my 4 yo asked me "why is everyone looking at ____?"

(I told her because she's our yummy baby and e/o wants to see her)

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:32 am
Thanks for the article.
I try to raise my children to accept and appreciate everyone and to not see them for their differences and hope I am succeeding.
I actually had a situation where my oldest was five years old and a child with severe disabilities entered the grocery store. My son kept on staring at him and so I started rehearsing a speech in my mind about not staring and that every one is special even if different. When I walked out of the store my son excitedly exclaims " did you see? That boy had the same sneakers as I do". I then realized that I was the only one seeing the disability!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics