Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
For moms of 'overweight' girls

WastingTime

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 3:59 pm
Or those same girls who are now adults

http://rebelfit.co.uk/blog/201.....uxl4p

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:10 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Or those same girls who are now adults

http://rebelfit.co.uk/blog/201.....uxl4p

It is a group that promotes healthy diet and exercise and their models are not exactly overweight. Even the so-called chubby girl that they show in the picture is not chubby.
I suppose that their hope is is that overweight teens will one day decide on their own to join the group.
What would be wrong with encouraging parents to keep junk food out of the house from the time that kids are little, before these issues start?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:17 pm
Thanks for posting. Lots of nice encouraging things to say to a DD going through puberty.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:22 pm
southernbubby wrote:
It is a group that promotes healthy diet and exercise and their models are not exactly overweight. Even the so-called chubby girl that they show in the picture is not chubby.
I suppose that their hope is is that overweight teens will one day decide on their own to join the group.
What would be wrong with encouraging parents to keep junk food out of the house from the time that kids are little, before these issues start?

You've never sent your kids to a Chabad school, have you?

DD never had a candy in her life until kindergarten. Then she'd come home with her pockets stuffed with them, and she'd be so wound up she'd end up in tears when the sugar high wore off. I fought with the teachers, and sent organic sugar free candies to school with her. Those things are expensive! In one day, the teacher gave the entire bag to the whole class, because "it wasn't fair for DD to have special candy." That bag was supposed to last for a semester, and there was a huge note taped to it. Mad

I switched her over to a different school after first grade, and they were just as bad with the pizza and ice cream parties, and the "student store" with all kinds of nosh available. If I didn't send money with DD for nosh, the other kids and teachers would take pity on her and buy treats for her.

Her healthy lunches came home uneaten. DD didn't have a single healthy meal in school until I switched her to public, where they had an excellent nutrition program and healthy eating classes.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 4:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

DD never had a candy in her life until kindergarten. Then she'd come home with her pockets stuffed with them, and she'd be so wound up she'd end up in tears when the sugar high wore off. I fought with the teachers, and sent organic sugar free candies to school with her. Those things are expensive! In one day, the teacher gave the entire bag to the whole class, because "it wasn't fair for DD to have special candy." That bag was supposed to last for a semester, and there was a huge note taped to it. Mad

I switched her over to a different school after first grade, and they were just as bad with the pizza and ice cream parties, and the "student store" with all kinds of nosh available. If I didn't send money with DD for nosh, the other kids and teachers would take pity on her and buy treats for her.

Her healthy lunches came home uneaten. DD didn't have a single healthy meal in school until I switched her to public, where they had an excellent nutrition program and healthy eating classes.

It doesn’t even matter what kind of school your kids go to. My girls go to Bais Yaakov, and my son the boy equivalent and they get so much candy for treats it’s appalling. Between them and my husband who thinks shabbos prizes for bentching needs to be candy and shabbos breakfast needs to be cake, I’m doomed and so are my kids’ teeth.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 5:20 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

They went to Chabad schools and I can't understand how a school that is scrupulous about avoiding all types of peanuts and tree nuts can't have a reasonable policy regarding junk food. Somehow people who can convince other parents not to vaccinate their kids cannot use that same clout to get the junk food out of the school. The parents need to become better activists. I have seen some teachers who dictated that the first snack of the day had to be a fruit or vegetable. Some parents found that hard to comply with because chips have a longer shelf life than carrots do.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 7:41 pm
The problem is that with this and most other "teenager" problems, they won't be convinced until they gain "life experience"--be it weight, studying, sleep habits, etc. My mother never said a WORD to me about my weight, but I could tell that I wasn't "thin" just being around my friends--and I had friends who never said anything to me either. *I* knew it and I tried everything short of an eating disorder to combat it. I wasn't always "overweight" or "obese"--but as I became 11, 12, 13 and high school and beyond, I could just tell my body type was different--and it still is, I'm "obese" but that's b/c my body is "out of proportion" the way it always has been--blame genetics.

There are a LOT of issues that kids would only agree with once they are married and settled and in their "happily (or unhappily) ever after" will they see what did or didn't truly matter 10-30 years down the line.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise