Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Need help with sensory input

LO

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 10:12 am
Hi everyone!

I have a 6 yr old daughter that seems to be in need to sensory input - she is always mushing everything, jumping, pushing, pulling, etc. I can't really afford to take her to an OT right now, so I am looking for ideas on what I can do with her at home on a daily basis.

She is also very emotionally explosive, which I think is connected - any tips on dealing with that? I am very discouraged about this and would love some suggestions!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 10:48 am
Two books:

1. The out of sync child has fun
2. The explosive child

gibberish

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:00 pm
Those two books are good. The Out of Sync child explains sensory issues and The Out of Sync Child Has Fun provides activities that helps overcome the issues.

The Explosive Children is a parenting method that helps with difficult children.

Also, get a trampoline and encourage your child to use it regularly; it really helps.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 1:23 pm
LO wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have a 6 yr old daughter that seems to be in need to sensory input - she is always mushing everything, jumping, pushing, pulling, etc. I can't really afford to take her to an OT right now, so I am looking for ideas on what I can do with her at home on a daily basis.

She is also very emotionally explosive, which I think is connected - any tips on dealing with that? I am very discouraged about this and would love some suggestions!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Are you able to find an OT center that accepts your health insurance and get a prescription from her doctor?

cbsp

Post Mon, Mar 12 2018, 2:40 pm
I highly recommend The Parent-Child Dance by Miriam Manela.
Here's the information about the book on her web site

https://otthrive.com/new-book/

(my DD is in the trailer about halfway down the page)

https://www.amazon.com/The-Par.....vior/

Her site has some informative articles as well...

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 6:04 pm
See the other thread her for someone with a sensory daughter: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....35795

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:12 pm
Is this new behavior? Have you tested her for pandas? Sensory issues and rages/meltdowns are classic symptoms. You will get much, much further by addressing the cause of her sensory issues then you will with any therapy. I work with OT's and they all say there is no magic fix for sensory issues, the best they can do is a band-aid. But I've spoken to many parents who have healed their children's sensory symptoms by addressing the biological cause.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
Is this new behavior? Have you tested her for pandas? Sensory issues and rages/meltdowns are classic symptoms. You will get much, much further by addressing the cause of her sensory issues then you will with any therapy. I work with OT's and they all say there is no magic fix for sensory issues, the best they can do is a band-aid. But I've spoken to many parents who have healed their children's sensory symptoms by addressing the biological cause.

Can you share what some of those biological causes are, and how they can be treated? Aside from pandas, which I definitely have experience with but am 100% sure isn't applicable for most sensory kids.

Also, as an OT I'm kind of surprised to hear that your colleagues feel the most they can do is band aid sensory processing disorder. B'H skilled therapists can be very effective in helping children rewire their nervous systems for the long term.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
Can you share what some of those biological causes are, and how they can be treated? Aside from pandas, which I definitely have experience with but am 100% sure isn't applicable for most sensory kids.

Also, as an OT I'm kind of surprised to hear that your colleagues feel the most they can do is band aid sensory processing disorder. B'H skilled therapists can be very effective in helping children rewire their nervous systems for the long term.
How are you so sure pandas isn't applicable to most sensory kids?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
How are you so sure pandas isn't applicable to most sensory kids?

Because the vast majority of the sensory children I've encountered (over more than a decade of clinical practice) have shown early signs from infancy.

cat3

Post Tue, Mar 13 2018, 11:50 pm
A pogo stick was really helpful for my 7 year old daughter who was constantly seeking input

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 1:12 am
Sensory issues do have a biological cause and if that cause is not treated than the activities are band-aids. Although some of these "band aids" can be very helpful and last for a while. Sensory issues often develop from poor reflex integration in babies, possibly some other neurological issues.
(Lack of tummy time and spending too much time in carseats as infants contributes to this).

For the OP - there are things you can do until you can afford OT, the books recommended can be a big help.

You said she likes mushing things - buy soap dispensers at the dollar store and let her squeeze them all over her hands in the bathtub (or lotion)
Finger paint and shaving cream in the bathtub.
Let her play with slime and resistive putty (slime can stick to clothes, carpet, and blankets).

Give her jobs that involve dragging heavy things - if possible let her move pieces of furniture around.

Swinging - make a hammock with a blanket, two adults on each side and swing back and forth while singing ABC, or similar song. Or swing in the park. twist the swing around and let it go.

Most importantly, try to teach her to ask for the above activities, or what you read about, when she feels this way. She won't lose it as much if she knows there are things to make it better.
When and if you can afford OT, find someone who is experienced in reflex integration.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 7:54 am
The guttmann sisters, who are EXPERTS in sensory integration and reflex integration are actually doing a live telephone conference tomorrow night at 9 PM for the community. (I read somewhere recently that they are also teaching a course for parents in reflex integration )They saved my child who had major anxiety and sensory issues. Here's the information for the call:

1). Dial (605) 472-5580
2). access code is: 371554

They just did a teleconference two weeks ago and got so many emails from the community that they are doing it again while they prepare for shabbos. They are keeping the topics open to questions and answers and will be presenting "on the fly". Maybe you can speak to them about your child and they can help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics