Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dental conspiracy?
Previous  1  2

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 10:07 am
I have seen this with me & my kids. Dentist told me I have 7! Cavities. I knew it doesn't make sense cause I never had any cavities. Went to another dentist that said I had none.... guess some dentists just want to make money.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 10:12 am
I don’t have an agenda but dental mills hire dentists and many of them do have quotas or receive bonuses based on work so there is a huge incentive to err on the side of doing work.

I’m not saying every dentist or every dental mill/clinic but there have been enough exposes so that it’s silly to shut one’s eyes and say that just because they are a medical professional, that they always act in the best interests of the patient.

There is a lot of burnout at these mills and dentists leave as soon as they can.

While greed can motivate any dentist, those who have long standing patients are generally looking at the long term and don’t have an incentive to maximize each patient. At least that’s my experience with dentists with whom I’ve had long term relationships. It’s a different incentive as they are trying to to build their practice and get recommendations from patients as well as other dentists.

alis_al_kulana

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 10:31 am
I went to 4 dentists who said I had 7 cavities. Went to another dentist who cost more for consultation but really is tops . Saved me money because he figured out what work really needed to be done and what would wait.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 10:35 am
Our dentist will sometimes say that something doesn't need work right now, but may in another year or two. Others may be more aggressive, that doesn't necessarily mean they're greedy, it could be a different approach to treatment.

Miri7

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 10:54 am
We go to a children’s dentist and I’ve had the same experience. We have family members who are dentists (but too far to use as dentists). They review the X-rays and treatment plans before I schedule anything. We’ve found to kids dentist to be overly aggressive at treatments.

ceebee

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 11:02 am
Sadly this is true, especially of large clinics that bill Medicaid. There are horror stories in the news over the years with children undergoing ridiculous dental procedures to scam insurance and being injured or killed in the process. If you are told something by a dentist that feels off, get a second or even third opinion.

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 11:34 pm
Since you posted a link in another thread to this one, I'll throw in my two cents. Some dentists have a lower tolerance for a cavity so while one may "watch" it, another may fill it. Some may ignore, where others watch, etc. If you dentist shop, it's hard for your dentist to know what should be watched and what should be ignored or filled on your particular teeth. I used a dentist who did fantastic work, but was very fill happy. I changed because I didn't want to keep filling, but I don't believe he was unethical, just had a lower tolerance for any type of decay or predecay, etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics