Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Tanachi names that...
Previous  1  2  3  4

gnomey

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 8:43 am
Quote:
IMHO, please don't name an American girl any of these. I know a girl named Meirav (sister of Michal) and like Elisheva, Devora, Shifra, Yocheved, Avigayil and Adina. Not a huge fan of Tzila but it's so much prettier than Yehosheva, as wonderful as Yehosheva was.

What's wrong with Aviya? It was one of my top picks for my American daughter. We wound up going with a different name but I've still got it on my list for future possibilities.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 12:21 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Go open Sefer Shoftim. Perek ד׳
Yael was the wife of Chever haKeini. (פסוק י״ז)
She seduced him to enter her tent, gave him milk instead of water, covered him in a blanket then stabbed him with the stake.

Keini from one of the names of Yisro. It is not clear if he or his descendants converted or not. But that’s who Chever was. They were given a place to live in or near Eretz Yisroel.

I'll admit that I'm pretty weak in Tanach. It's something that I'd like to change someday...

So Keini and Yisro don't mean anything to me.

Back to Yael -- if she was a Jew married to a Jew and she actually had s*x with Sisera, then I see the problem naming after her because adultery is Yeharag veAl Taavor. Devora seemed to think she was pretty cool, but I guess we don't know what HaShem thought of her actions. But if Yael or her husband wasn't Jewish, or if she didn't actually have s*x with Sisera, then I can't see why anyone would question her being a heroine, especially when you compare her to Esther.

Sorry for getting so off topic Very Happy

keym

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
I'll admit that I'm pretty weak in Tanach. It's something that I'd like to change someday...
So Keini and Yisro don't mean anything to me.

Back to Yael -- if she was a Jew married to a Jew and she actually had s*x with Sisera, then I see the problem naming after her because adultery is Yeharag veAl Taavor. Devora seemed to think she was pretty cool, but I guess we don't know what HaShem thought of her actions. But if Yael or her husband wasn't Jewish, or if she didn't actually have s*x with Sisera, then I can't see why anyone would question her being a heroine, especially when you compare her to Esther.

Sorry for getting so off topic Very Happy

Yael seems to be viewed as a heroine. But she did have s*x multiple times with Sisera. The pesukim say that Sisera died bein ragleha- between her legs... I think theres even peshatim how much s*x but its lauded.
I also think she was from Keini. Noachide who lived in EY and were allies of bnei yisrael. But only had to keep the 7 mitzvos so the adultery is considered a necessay evil.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 12:35 pm
My name is Yael. I don't go around seducing powerful men LOL My SIL is Rachel. She had three kids in three years. I know a lot of Rachels and only one has fertility issues. Miriams who are sweet. Esthers who have happy lives. I think you're reading too much into this. (OTOH, my DS has many qualities of the grandfather he's named after - not only the good ones shock )

iyar

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
My name is Yael. I don't go around seducing powerful men LOL My SIL is Rachel. She had three kids in three years. I know a lot of Rachels and only one has fertility issues. Miriams who are sweet. Esthers who have happy lives. I think you're reading too much into this. (OTOH, my DS has many qualities of the grandfather he's named after - not only the good ones shock )

What you're saying makes sense according to what I've heard.
I've been told there's an influence on the child's character from the person he or she is named after, not from the original name in Tanach or elsewhere. This might be why some people put emphasis on having in mind who they're naming the child after. It might also explain families where multiple grandchildren are named after the same ancestor and you hear them say how all the Yitzchak's or Rivka's have similar personalities.
I didn't know the person I'm named after but I once met someone who did. I was surprised that things he said about her were things a lot of people might say about me!

(Edited to add: He wasn't just telling me the standard expected things about what a perfectly wonderful Tzadekes she was which naturally I'd think was a description I share Wink)

salt

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 7:30 am
Miriam, Shifra, Puah, Yocheved - they all lived through 'Shiabud Mitzrayim' - in the shadow and fear of Pharoh's decrees - that's a terribly hard life I think.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names