Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Are you happy you moved to Israel?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 12:39 pm
Besides the language, what are some of the difficulties that you had to face when you first moved to Israel? How long did it take you to adjust to living there? Are you happy with your choice? Any tips for new olim?
thanks

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 1:59 pm
Glad I moved here. Main tips are learn Hebrew, don't insist on everything being like it was in the US, when you run into problems get advice from people who grew up here or other olim who know how things work here. Find someplace to live where olim are neither a negligible minority nor the overwhelming majority.

iyar

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 2:38 pm
I know this wasn't the question but-
I'm sorry I did not move to Israel.
I know all about the hardships involved in moving OP and I'm sure you do too. But life happened right here where I am and it hasn't always been smooth sailing here either.

heidi

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 2:47 pm
Aaaarrrgghhh! Such a hard question. Just came back from the US and that's when I think about your question.
Short answer- yes,very.
Long answer-- Life is more convenient in the US. It just is. You can argue till you turn blue, but there is no beating the prices and quality of places like Target and Old Navy. And Children's Place. And Payless. And DSW.
Sorry, got lost in my daydreams.
Even if you don't live in a major Jewish community in America there is still loads of kosher convenience food available. My current jealous obsession is Trader Joe's riced cauliflower.
All that said, my kids are being raised with stronger connections to our country and our religion than I see the kids in the States having.
Our chagim are everyone's chagim.
Our soldiers are everyone's children.
I didn't realize it till I lived here. But I love the sense of belonging and being in the right place.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 3:23 pm
The one thing I would have done differently, is to start learning Hebrew in a serious way, about a year or so before I came here.

Other than that, I am thrilled to pieces to be here!

The most important things to bring with you, are a good attitude and an open mind. Israel is far more Middle Eastern than it is European. It's a huge culture shift. If you keep that in mind, you can enjoy all kinds of people even when they don't think the way you do.

Be adventurous! There's so many wonderful things to experience. Strike up a conversation with a cab driver, and there is a very good chance he'll give you a dvar Torah.

Forgive the rude government workers. Most of them come from Russia, where customer service is non existent. In their mind, they are bending over backwards for you. Bring a book with you, and be patient.

Difficulties? The school systems are hard to work with. Teachers don't really cooperate with the parents. They say they want your input, but they really don't. Kids are louder and pushier. They're not rude, it's the culture. Your quiet, well behaved children will become doormats if they don't learn to stand up for themselves. Again, the teachers Do. Not. Care.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 3:48 pm
heidi wrote:
Aaaarrrgghhh! Such a hard question. Just came back from the US and that's when I think about your question.
Short answer- yes,very.
Long answer-- Life is more convenient in the US. It just is. You can argue till you turn blue, but there is no beating the prices and quality of places like Target and Old Navy. And Children's Place. And Payless. And DSW.
Sorry, got lost in my daydreams.
Even if you don't live in a major Jewish community in America there is still loads of kosher convenience food available. My current jealous obsession is Trader Joe's riced cauliflower.
All that said, my kids are being raised with stronger connections to our country and our religion than I see the kids in the States having.
Our chagim are everyone's chagim.
Our soldiers are everyone's children.
I didn't realize it till I lived here. But I love the sense of belonging and being in the right place.

Thanks G-d there is online shopping from US with international shipping Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 14 2018, 3:51 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Thanks G-d there is online shopping from US with international shipping Smile

I've learned to appreciate what we have here, and be proud to support the local economy. For me, shopping locally is a Zionist act. Very Happy

essie14

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:16 am
Am I happy I moved? More like ecstatically elated.
I wanted to make Aliyah for many many years. It was my biggest dream. And when I finally did it, I was going to make it work no matter what. Yes, life is different here and it takes time to get used to things. The first medical issue I had after I made Aliyah was BH minor but it took a lot of effort for me to figure out how to get the care and treatment I needed. After that, all medical issues were a breeze! As soon as you figure everything out it's really not that hard.
Use your neighbors and friends as resources. dont afraid to ask for help.
The educational system is different and takes getting used to. You need to advocate for your kids. They may need extra tutoring for help with the Hebrew.
I think the most important thing is attitude. If you want to be happy, you will. And your kids will absorb your attitude.

LisaS

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 3:49 am
Like my love for my children, my love for Israel grows stronger and stronger. I can't imagine not living here now that I do. It is the biggest privilege, and any challenge we've faced has been worth it, besides been an opportunity for growth.

I'm glad we didn't know of all the challenges ahead of time because that would have scared us off of coming. I find more than the language, it's the cultural differences and modes of expression that throw me off.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 4:25 am
Yes, I'm glad I made aliyah. Moved here almost a decade ago. I had some rudimentary Hebrew when I got here and went to an Ulpan for about 9 months. After that and until today my Hebrew is far from perfect but I do get around and I'm able to work in a completely Hebrew speaking environment. People here forgive your mistakes easily when they realize you are an "olah chadashah". No one is going to hold it against you. The culture and mentality are different and take getting used to. People are not only more pushy and rude, they are also on the good side a lot more willing to help strangers when needed. What I love is that everything here is "Jewish". The chagim are everyone's holidays (well, minus minorities). No trouble with having them and Shabbatot off at work. Most shops are just kosher (and kosher for Pesach this time of year). Jewish identity here is just "there", especially for the children. It's not an uphill battle like in other countries.

LisaS

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 4:31 am
How long did it take you to adjust to living there?
The initial adjustment of banking, supermarket, budgeting, health care take about a year or two to get settled into. For me the biggest adjustment has been figuring out schooling and raising my kids in an unfamiliar environment and framework. There is no end date on that adjustment. But adjusting is in itself a good thing. I have come to loosen up on some previously held ideals, and become even more convinced of others.

Any tips for new olim?
1. Keep your long term goals in mind. In 20 years will you care whether you chose the apartment with the nicer garden vs. the one with the nicer kitchen? Probably not as much as you will care about your shul/community/schools/social and religious choices. Those will have lasting impact.

2. Make/find a support circle of fellow olim. it can be even a few friends. Having someone to lean on plus having the opportunity for others lean on you will make all the difference.

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 4:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I've learned to appreciate what we have here, and be proud to support the local economy. For me, shopping locally is a Zionist act. Very Happy

You obviously are not buying socks and underwear for children. Or pants for teenage boys. You can be as Zionistic as you want. The stuff here is still expensive cr#p

jkw

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 5:09 am
It is hard to get used to a very different culture (agree that it is more Middle Eastern, which means you have to keep pushing for what you want). That being said, there is nothing more special than having the same chagim and Shabbos not just in your immediate neighborhood but everywhere. Even if not everyone holds as you do.
The hard part is knowing that you may only occasionally see members of your family in chul.
That's why many people split their time which is also hard ...

grace413

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 5:25 am
Very happy to have the privilege of living in Israel, despite the difficulties.

Can't imagine living in the states again, although it's certainly a great place to visit and buy stuff.

Love the chagim here, love Shabbat here.

Zeleze

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 7:02 am
With all the hardships, missing family memebers, make ends meet is difficult each month, but still worth it.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 7:52 am
One advantage of living in a community that is more Anglo is that the adjustment to school could be easier. For Better or Worse we realize that we do not fit into the mainstream education system. We live in Ramat beit Shemesh and send our kids to schools that are run by anglos. There are just some things that we could not acclimate to and sending our kids to Israeli schools just backfired for us.

mandksima

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:22 pm
I've been about 12 years here and not a day goes by that I am not extremely grateful to be living here. I remind my sabra kids as much as I can that they should not take living here for granted and there are many people who wish they could be here but haven't come yet. They are very lucky.

I am not one who wishes for an easy life. The difficulties here are beneficial to us, I believe. It's better to work hard for something and not have it too easy. I enjoy challenges that help me grow stronger and for the most part, life is so much more stress free than it was when I was in the US. I just feel Hashem with me so much more strongly so even difficult things are somehow easier to handle when you're here. Since many survive by miracle here, we are easily appreciating Hashem's assistance and people are just generally way more happy on a daily basis. When you know it is almost impossible to become rich here naturally, you accept what you have and somehow you make it work, like most everyone here. Once you drop the search for getting rich, a lot of stress goes away even if you once thought having more money would make life easier.

I couldn't imagine raising my kids today outside of Israel. My first two kids were there till 5 years old and I'm glad we came when we did. Your sense of Jewishness here is so strong. There is nothing to hide or be ashamed or afraid to show here. We celebrate shabbat and chagim with such joy and everyone feels it here, no matter if religious yet or not. Kids are content here with much less and they use all of Eretz Yisrael as their playground for visiting and exploring. It is so much safer on the streets here. You have all Israelis looking out for you like family. Everything is a gift here, there just is no better way to describe it. Happy we moved here is an understatement. Ecstatically excited every moment I reflect on it is more accurate. I wish everyone could feel my joy! Please come! Your neshama wants this more than anything!!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 12:42 pm
It's a privilege to live in Israel. So many generations longed to live here, Moshe Rabbenu davened to merit coming into the land, and we got to do it. Amazing! We see the country developing day by day, and it feels like being part of a miracle.

We came with some real advantages: decent Hebrew (enough to read the newspaper, not enough to sound like an educated adult all the time), some savings, and the attitude that we would adapt to Israel, not vice versa.

Are there days I'm baffled by the bureaucracy and the school system? Sure. Do I miss some conveniences? Sure. But after 120, I don't want to say to Hashem, thanks for the opportunity to live in your land, but I needed precut veggies at the supermarket.

I'm not looking down on anyone else's choices. I know there are lots of things to take into account when making the move. However, we did it with a lot of things stacked against us (so specific that even as amother I don't want to list them) and it was the best decision ever. I'm profoundly grateful to be here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions