Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
NJ/Philadelphia teacher requirements?

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 4:37 pm
I'm not a teacher, my husband is one. Currently, he has a comfortable job as a teacher in NYC at a Charter school. He was VERY lucky and thank G-d they accepted him even though he has no teaching degree, but he has tremendous experience. A couple of times, he was told to take the certification, but so far they're ok without it (and he's been working there for 7 years). It's really hard because then he'd have to take not just the certification but a whole new degree! His degree is actually not in education. so he'd have to take education for a degree and then certification and that would take years since he can't do it full time! Also, when would he do that? He comes home late and there are only Sundays. (he even works from home). We're also not in a very good financial situation to pay for a whole new degree. I wish he had the certification so it would open up more opportunities. He's the kind of guy that learns better independently and with experience. We currently live in NYC and we just can't afford to move to a bigger apartment, even though we love our community. I know there are cheaper housings the further we go out of the city and the quality of life can be better. I was looking at some towns in NJ (such as Cherry Hill) and was wondering what are the requirements for a teacher in NJ/Philly area? I'm thinking if he could find in another charter school whenever they have the same kind of position... but it's playing with luck. Even though they love him at the current Charter school, doesn't mean they'll take him in another... Sad

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 5:05 pm
Sorry but pretty much wherever you go they'll want a teaching certificate with whatever the local requirements are. I'm astonished that he got a job in an NYC charter school without certification.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 5:16 pm
seeker wrote:
Sorry but pretty much wherever you go they'll want a teaching certificate with whatever the local requirements are. I'm astonished that he got a job in an NYC charter school without certification.

He's a teacher of the arts so maybe a degree wasn't as "important". They actually made him head of the arts department. Yes, I'm thankful for them taking him in. And yes... I had a feeling every where they look for the certification. But I think that experience should also be a big factor. Sometimes you get a better teacher with experience rather than just a degree. (not saying teachers shouldn't have an education degree)

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 5:21 pm
Experience is a big factor but when you're going to have a few hundred applicants for any desirable job you need to set some filtering criteria and certification is bound to be one of them.

emzod42

Post Fri, Mar 16 2018, 5:29 pm
He doesn't necessarily need a degree in education if he can meet the requirements with the degree he has. If he wants to teach on the secondary level (7 to 12) and he has enough credits in an area he could teach in, it will be easier to get certified. He will have to pass the general and subject-specific praxis exam and meet the other requirements. You can look at the nj doe site for how to qualify for teaching certification. http://www.state.nj.us/educati.....iew/. That being said, the better paying districts look for the most qualified teachers, and that usually does mean degrees.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics