Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Lakewood...Dr. Fenster.... PANDAS

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 11:12 am
My 4-year-old son suddenly stopped talking a little over a week ago, both at home and at school. He grunts and squeals and points, but no words. No major changes or traumas BH in his life that I know of, but he did recently start with a new speech therapist (for articulation issues) so I'm thinking of stopping her for now to see if that may be the issue.
Meanwhile, someone suggested PANDAS and I'm wondering if that may be it, because this new behavior is so sudden and random. I don't recognize my son and I'm desperate for an answer.
I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Fenster for tomorrow. I know not all doctors believe in PANDAS. Do you think he will be open-minded and work with me? I just want to rule it out. I want my little boy back. Crying

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:19 pm
Bump...

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:23 pm
I think you should go in there with an open mind and work with him in figuring this out. There may be any number of possibilities for this, but it definitely needs immediate attention.

observer

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:27 pm
This sounds so concerning!!! May or may not be pandas. Definitely run to your pediatrician asap! And ask for a throat culture too. Sometimes strep can cause strange things, even without pandas.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:42 pm
I'm open to any possibility. This is so wierd! This is not normal and I keep crying.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 12:50 pm
Don't wait. Call Stacy from dr fenster and tell her everything. She will get u to dr fenster much quicker and do this now don't wait. He is very open minded. Trust him he's great! You will get to the bottom of it with him he's,super.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 2:19 pm
Did he recently get shots?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
Did he recently get shots?

No, his well visit was in July.
He did have strep in January.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 2:37 pm
I would also just call and ask for him to call you to discuss, why wait around if he may say not to worry about it.

observer

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 2:57 pm
Can you get an appointment with your pediatrician for tomorrow?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 5:22 pm
my nephew was in same situation as your son..he was 2.8 months woke up one day and started stuttering terribly having a very hard time bringing out his words.. my sister was traumatized and ran to dr immediately was saying first could be ear infection and should go back 3 days later.. he took culture again came back strep and he said it's pandas.. bh after few weeks on antibiotic he was talking perfectly fine.. just for your info usually the antibiotics is for a while.. and u constantly have to take blood work and recheck with dr how to proceed

anonymrs

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 6:54 pm
I don't know anything about Dr. Fenster, but I do know that many (most?) pediatricians are very under-informed regarding PANDAS. I'm not saying that this is PANDAS, but it can possibly be. Also, be aware, that other bacterial or viral infections can trigger PANS (which is similar to PANDAS but not strep-specific).

Make sure to request blood tests Antistreptolysin O Ab and Anti-DNase B Strep Antibodies.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 10:19 am
I heard that Dr. Fenster knows alot about PANDAS

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics