Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How do I go about asking nurses not to bring chometz in on

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 12:59 pm
Pesach?

Can I ask them to leave their food out the door and then when they want to eat I'll just give them a break and they'll eat outside?

Tell them pesach they cannot at all bring along food and give them $ send them to mc'donalds or dunkin donuts whatever for lunch break?

Any other better options on how to handle that chometz food shouldn't be in my home on pesach?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 1:04 pm
I’d say that you should ask a rav what you are required to do

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
Pesach?

Can I ask them to leave their food out the door and then when they want to eat I'll just give them a break and they'l outside?

Tell them pesach they cannot at all bring along food and give them $ send them to mc'donalds or dunkin donuts whatever for lunch break?

Any other better options on how to handle that chometz food shouldn't be in my home on pesach?

I'd explain that during your holiday, they cannot bring their food into the house. You'll be glad to provide them with a simple lunch (tuna, egg salad, whatever), or they can take a break and eat out.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 1:11 pm
I think it depends on the layout of your house, and the weather. If you have a pleasant seating area in the garden, porch, or balcony, then I don't see a problem with asking that they eat there.

If that's not possible, then I would certainly offer to give them a lunch allowance and a bit of extra time to sit at restaurant.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 1:25 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I think it depends on the layout of your house, and the weather. If you have a pleasant seating area in the garden, porch, or balcony, then I don't see a problem with asking that they eat there.

If that's not possible, then I would certainly offer to give them a lunch allowance and a bit of extra time to sit at restaurant.

I live in an apt building so if I'm home they can sit outside on the staircase or take a chair out (if weather is bad).
if I'm by my mom and the weather is nice they can sit on bench outside or go eat by my moms non jewish tenant (who offered. my sis just told me that tenant said she will invite nurses to her)

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 2:59 pm
I'll echo Salmon Amother -- check with a rav. It's been many, many years, but I seem to remember that it wasn't a problem -- probably because you don't own any chometz they bring in. But double-check to make sure. No need to make more work or aggravation for yourself if it isn't necessary.

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 3:02 pm
It sounds like you need these nurses. Please don't risk insulting them by asking them to sit in your stairwell. Ask a rav.

rmbg

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 3:04 pm
I’m sure they see you getting ready for Pesach cleaning etc... explain to them this week what you are doing and that will help them understand your request regarding their food.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 3:12 pm
Give them the choice, they can eat your food or they can go out for lunch for the week (and you will pay).

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 4:31 pm
A non-Jew can eat his own chametz in your house in front of your face. בל יראה and בל ימצא apply to you, but not to them. You can ask them not to eat at the table so crumbs don't get on it. Please consult with a Rav.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
A non-Jew can eat his own chametz in your house in front of your face. בל יראה and בל ימצא apply to you, but not to them. You can ask them not to eat at the table so crumbs don't get on it. Please consult with a Rav.

But it's also op's house and if she doesn't feel comfortable with them bringing in chametz, it is probably best just to give them some money to purchase lunch and eat elsewhere.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 4:50 pm
octopus wrote:
But it's also op's house and if she doesn't feel comfortable with them bringing in chametz, it is probably best just to give them some money to purchase lunch and eat elsewhere.

When she said she needed advice because chametz shouldn't be in her house, I thought she was referring to halacha. That's why I gave a halachic answer. If she just doesn't want it, for whatever reason, that's her right of course, and she should deal with it the same way you deal with someone who brings smelly fish for lunch - kindly and sensitively. But this is not a religious requirement, so no need to present it as one. We had this same issue once, and used it as a teachable moment for our kids.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 8:36 pm
I have nurses and I tell them that they can only bring fruits and nuts into the house if they want anything more they can go out to get and eat it outside
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette