Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is it legal?...

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 10:58 pm
Ok. So I'm cleaning for Pesach and I found a medication that I'd used for my baby's reflux earlier this year. It's an expensive medication that I have no use for, and feel really guilty throwing it out knowing that there's a baby out there who's mother is shelling out over $200 for their medication. It comes in single dose packets (24 doses left), so it's clean and doesn't expire for another yr+. I would love to give it to someone that has a real need for it, but I don't want to do anything that will get me/recipient into trouble. What to do?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. So I'm cleaning for Pesach and I found a medication that I'd used for my baby's reflux earlier this year. It's an expensive medication that I have no use for, and feel really guilty throwing it out knowing that there's a baby out there who's mother is shelling out over $200 for their medication. It comes in single dose packets (24 doses left), so it's clean and doesn't expire for another yr+. I would love to give it to someone that has a real need for it, but I don't want to do anything that will get me/recipient into trouble. What to do?

It's illegal, but here's what I did last year when I found an extra pack of BC I wasn't going to use. I went to pharmacy, I know pharmacist, and I asked if he would give it to someone who doesn't have insurance? He promised me he would. Since it was still in the package, like yours, he could do that.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 11:20 pm
I know someone who can use it!! If you decide to give it away, let me know.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 12:07 am
anonymrs wrote:
I know someone who can use it!! If you decide to give it away, let me know.

I'll PM you

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:00 am
ahem. if anyone has a closed Ciprodex drops... (then you can save me about $270)

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:15 am
2GN wrote:
ahem. if anyone has a closed Ciprodex drops... (then you can save me about $270)

Sorry, its a different medication.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Mar 21 2018, 1:19 am
amother wrote:
Sorry, its a different medication.

of course. just putting this out there...

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 8:51 pm
bump

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 9:00 pm
If you are in the NY area, there are medication gemachs. You can always call and see if they need it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 11:24 pm
amother wrote:
It's illegal, but here's what I did last year when I found an extra pack of BC I wasn't going to use. I went to pharmacy, I know pharmacist, and I asked if he would give it to someone who doesn't have insurance? He promised me he would. Since it was still in the package, like yours, he could do that.

That sounds commendable on the surface and your actions and intentions were definitely noble, but A PHARMACY IS LEGALLY FORBIDDEN FROM TAKING BACK ANY MEDICATIONS!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
That sounds commendable on the surface and your actions and intentions were definitely noble, but A PHARMACY IS LEGALLY FORBIDDEN FROM TAKING BACK ANY MEDICATIONS!

It's in a blister pack, I think that changes things. But thanks for your two cents.

Perhaps, you can bring your large capital letters to the people who want to illegally give it to strangers.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 11:55 pm
I’ve given leftover meds (in sealed packaging) to my doctor who tries to help patients with no/poor coverage for meds.

Zehava

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 12:01 am
Oh cmon. It’s baby medication not oxytocin or Percocet. Please give it to someone who needs it.
I’ve given away a perfectly sealed nuvaring once. My doc gave it to me because she didn’t realize I was mostly breastfeeding. After I put my iud in I had no use for it and gave it to a friend who was paying for her bc out of pocket.
Pretty sure the police has bigger criminals to catch than those who give away a package of baby meds to someone in need.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 12:16 am
Zehava wrote:
Oh cmon. It’s baby medication not oxytocin or Percocet. Please give it to someone who needs it.
I’ve given away a perfectly sealed nuvaring once. My doc gave it to me because she didn’t realize I was mostly breastfeeding. After I put my iud in I had no use for it and gave it to a friend who was paying for her bc out of pocket.
Pretty sure the police has bigger criminals to catch than those who give away a package of baby meds to someone in need.

I'm not saying it shouldn;t be done, I'm saying I don't appreciate being admonished for doing something a poster believes is illegal, when I've actually done a legal mitzvah. More legal than giving to strangers. (Which I also have no problem with.) But if you've lining things up and judging levels of illegality, I'm not the worst offender.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 6:17 am
amother wrote:

My pharmacy did it when the medicine was in its original package.

watergirl

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 7:04 am
I would not do this. I know its blister packed and not expired. But if CVS something happened to the baby after taking your meds (even if it would have happened to him on the meds if they came from a pharmacy), you’d be the first one in line for a law suit. Its a massive risk. Call your pediatrician and ask for ideas.

cookies6

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 9:15 am
Give it to your pediatrician. I've done this. They will give it to a family who could use it. The pediatrician is always giving out samples and starter doses anyway.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 10:48 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:

I checked for you, but I don't. Sorry!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 10:56 am
Guns yes, health no!
Sigh. I'd donate it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics