Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Lakewood non-drivers, would you be interested in this?

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 11:09 am
This is really just a curiosity question, because contrary to my username, I am quite busy. Would the female non-drivers in Lakewood be interested in a frum, women only taxi service?

My mother had a friend who lived in a chassidish neighborhood and she drove chassidish women around at night. I still remember that moment when I figured out why she specifically drove them at night Very Happy But I would imagine that would be helpful to so many women.

How do you ladies get around Lakewood as of now? I'm guessing husbands and Lakeway or similar taxi services. But husbands aren't always available, and I would think it's uncomfortable for chassidish women to go in a car with strange men. I know when I once needed to send my teenage dds with Lakeway I didn't feel so comfortable with it. I would have preferred to send them with a lady.

I also can't figure out how you manage mikva. I would feel extremely uncomfortable going to the mikva with a strange man driving me, but it can't always work out to go with your husbands. Especially if you only have little kids, it's so hard to get babysitters in this town.

I would imagine that there are ladies in Lakewood who could use some extra money and would love a part time, make your own hours type of job, for whom this could be a great opportunity. If they don't want to start their own business, they could join with Lakeway and have them advertise that they have female drivers available.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 11:43 am
Just to let you know, there are women drivers out there. I have friends who are drivers in New York, Monsey, and Lakewood. Oh, and the Catskills. (They drive primarily for Chassidishe women). And if you need names of women who drive in Lakewood, I can try to get this information (not promising before Pesach!). I know a few.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 3:13 pm
In order to drive people, you have to be licensed. I know a woman in Lakewood who does deliveries (parcels, packages, etc..) and she told me that when she opened her business, another (frum) taxi service warned her not to drive people, or he will report her. I've heard of people calling for a taxi, and this is a ploy to trap unlicensed businesses.

Keep this in mind if you are planning to drive women.

debsey

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 3:29 pm
Chayalle wrote:
In order to drive people, you have to be licensed. I know a woman in Lakewood who does deliveries (parcels, packages, etc..) and she told me that when she opened her business, another (frum) taxi service warned her not to drive people, or he will report her. I've heard of people calling for a taxi, and this is a ploy to trap unlicensed businesses.

Keep this in mind if you are planning to drive women.

It's not that hard to get licensed, though. Just set up a legit car service business. There's an extra test the drivers would have to take, and just hire a laywer for the rest. It's not like buying a taxi medallion or something like that.

You could also set up an Uber-style system.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 4:14 pm
Btw just want to tell you that the person who threatened to report f is not legally running his car service business. So there's nothing to be afraid of.

Yes Lakewood chasidish women need lady drivers. if anyone wants to can do it. By word of mouth it can be advertised. So they don't get threatened. Whoever those car services are and I can almost vouch who it is is no need to worry. It's just a ploy for him to be the monopoly.

And he can't be monopoly because another company opened and is giving much better service.

I have no problem advertising on group chats. The ones I know of. I could set up anonymous gmail account. And u could send me your information.

Please post on this thread if your interested.

It will be one of the best things for us here.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 4:16 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Just to let you know, there are women drivers out there. I have friends who are drivers in New York, Monsey, and Lakewood. Oh, and the Catskills. (They drive primarily for Chassidishe women). And if you need names of women who drive in Lakewood, I can try to get this information (not promising before Pesach!). I know a few.

Please post the names

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 4:47 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

I had no idea. I know women who volunteer to drive for Bikur Cholim or other organizations, but I don't know of anyone who does it for pay.

kb

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 4:55 pm
When I was in Lakewood for a simcha I issed lakeway, and they have female drivers.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 4:57 pm
kb wrote:
When I was in Lakewood for a simcha I issed lakeway, and they have female drivers.

I didn't know that either. Did you ask specifically for a female, or is that who showed up?

ilovegod

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:05 pm
I know quite a number of ladies who would greatly appreciate this service. There's a huge demand for it.

kb

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:36 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
I didn't know that either. Did you ask specifically for a female, or is that who showed up?

I told them I need carseats, and the dispatcher said that he'll see if one of his lady drivers has.

And the lady told me that you could request her by name. (Which I forgot)

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:45 pm
Is Lakeway a Frum car service company with Frum drivers? I live in Lakewood and drive so I don’t need to use car services but it’s good to know who to call if necessary.

kb

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:46 pm
Yes, frum drivers.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
Please post the names

In Lakewood? Or Monsey or the Catskills? Pm me, I have the names. I have two friends that used to do this, actually - I don't know if they still do.

Also, in Lakewood, I'm pretty sure some car services have lady drivers.

ETA: Just realized that this thread is public. So PM me for more information.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics