Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach cholent
1  2  3  4  Next

syaem

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 1:09 pm
Pesach cholent is just onions, potatoes and meat. Is there anything to thicken it up without processed products?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 1:18 pm
I add a hand made potato kugel on top and I make kishka in a crock pot bag and knot it.
Delicious

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 1:24 pm
I love grated potato cholent, yapsuk. It's deliciously creamy.

Layered bones, then meat, grated onion, then grated potato and finished off with salt. No water. Delicious!

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 25 2018, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

octopus

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 1:31 pm
It doesn't thicken it up so much, but besides adding potatoes, I grate a few to get the liquid a little thicker. It's hit or miss. I forget from year to year.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 1:36 pm
You could use some non-chometz starch -- potato, arrowroot, etc. -- and make a roux. Such a fancy word for whisk a little water into some starch/flour and add small quantities of liquid/broth, making sure to whisk out lumps, until it's pretty thin, than add to soup/cholent/whatever and let cook.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 1:45 pm
Potatoe kugel

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 23 2018, 3:10 pm
In addition to the standard stuff I put in grated potatoes and grated zucchini (the zucchini really has no taste, but it dissolves and thickens the mixture). I've ready but not tried (due to nut allergies here) that if you put blanched whole almonds in, they'll come out similar to beans.

rainbow dash

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 5:05 pm
[quote="amother"]Potatoe kugel[/quote

How exactly does that work? You make potato kugel and wrap it in baking paper and add it to the top if the cholent?

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 8:44 pm
Matzah farfel! Yum!!!

r_ch

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 8:55 pm
I add carrots and kohlrabi to your onions, potatoes, and meat.

lattemom

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 10:03 pm
Quinoa

busymother

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 10:43 pm
Kosher.com has a great recipe from yussi for pesach cholent. He cuts some potatoes into small pieces to resemble barley. It’s really good.

happymommy6

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 10:52 pm
It's our favorite cholent of the whole year! I saute onions potatoes and meat like usual and add a raw potato kugel mixture. Gives it a cholent consistency and is delicious!

climbing613

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 11:16 pm
happymommy6 wrote:
It's our favorite cholent of the whole year! I saute onions potatoes and meat like usual and add a raw potato kugel mixture. Gives it a cholent consistency and is delicious!

Just clarifying as I think I'll be doing this. The whole mixture including eggs?

happymommy6

Post Sat, Mar 24 2018, 11:21 pm
Yup!! When I make my kugels, I freeze a few pans raw that will be used for the cholent.

salamanca

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:46 am
Can someone please explain why water is not needed in the chulent when using grated potatoes? Would it matter if one uses chicken in place of some of the meat? I just want to be sure that my recipe will be okay if I add no water.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 11:56 am
salamanca wrote:
Can someone please explain why water is not needed in the chulent when using grated potatoes? Would it matter if one uses chicken in place of some of the meat? I just want to be sure that my recipe will be okay if I add no water.

If you add water it will be mushy and soupy. That would be like adding water to bone-in chicken in the crockpot for dinner. You'll end up with watery tasteless pieces of chicken. But if you just put in the seasoned pieces without water, the juices with naturally release with the slow cooking and you'll end up with juicy "roasted" tasting chicken from the crockpot. (And you'll even end up with lots of natural liquid gravy on the bottom of the crock.)

salamanca

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:11 pm
Thanks so much ra_mom. I have a few questions additional questions, if you don't mind. I only very occasionally make potato kugel, but when I do, I always squeeze excess water from the shredded potatoes (I use a food processor to shred them,) otherwise it takes forever for it to cook. Should I not squeeze the shredded potatoes before putting them in the chulent? Does hand grating potatoes make the "batter" less watery? Also, I try to remove as much fat as possible from the chulent meat and chicken that I add to my weekly chulent. Is keeping this fat in the chicken and meat necessary for the "no water" recipe described for Pesach? Thanks so much!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 12:14 pm
salamanca wrote:
Thanks so much ra_mom. I have a few questions additional questions, if you don't mind. I only very occasionally make potato kugel, but when I do, I always squeeze excess water from the shredded potatoes (I use a food processor to shred them,) otherwise it takes forever for it to cook. Should I not squeeze the shredded potatoes before putting them in the chulent? Does hand grating potatoes make the "batter" less watery? Also, I try to remove as much fat as possible from the chulent meat and chicken that I add to my weekly chulent. Is keeping this fat in the chicken and meat necessary for the "no water" recipe described for Pesach? Thanks so much!

You don't need to squeeze out the water from the shredded potatoes. The water has the starch in it and actually helps with binding.
As long as you use bones like the recipe calls for (which emits juices and marrow) you don't have to leave extra fat on the proteins and can do as you usually do.

salamanca

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 2:40 pm
thanks again ra_mom! I've never used bones before. Any idea how many pounds one should use in say, a 6 qt crockpot? During the year I use an 8 qt, but I was thinking of getting a 6qt for Pesach because wouldn't the shredded potatoes take up less room than cubed ones?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics