Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Penina or Margalit
Previous  1  2

Which name would you pick?
Penina  
 74%  [ 101 ]
Margalit  
 25%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 136

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 7:55 am
I have a Perry and she is delicious and intelligent I wouldn't want another name for her because she is a PEARL. IAB

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 9:02 am
Why indeed not Perele or Perla? It is closer to the name of your relative and I find it less 'old lady like' (don't want to offend Penina's and Margalits but that was the concern of TO).

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 1:27 pm
Hi, thanks everyone for the responses.

We definitely want a Hebrew name, not Yiddish or English or anything else. I like the names Adi and Sapir, but don't feel like that would be close enough, so IF we decide to name after her, it would be either Penina or Margalit. It's actually funny, because usually when you decide to name after someone and use the translation you don't have a choice at all.

I was also thinking that Penina is slightly less old ladyish than Margalit. Can any other Israelis give their opinions?

Finallyamommy - I can see your point about the name getting a bad reaction from people who went through IF.

Hopefully we'll get ruach hakodesh because this isn't a simple choice.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Why indeed not Perele or Perla? It is closer to the name of your relative and I find it less 'old lady like' (don't want to offend Penina's and Margalits but that was the concern of TO).

Oddly, I find Perele and Perla to be old-lady names.

But that's the nature of the world. The old ladies of my youth are the toddlers of today.

FYI, I love the name Margalit.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Mar 19 2018, 8:35 pm
Penina is a universal name. Margaritas is Israeli. I wouldn't give a name that makes you be associated typically Israeli. I have an Israeli name and my parents are Israeli even though they don't live there anymore. I always felt living in USA that I was looked at as Israeli. You know the Israeli kid. Why not just give a name that is accepted all over.?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 9:10 am
I like Penina- there are a couple of them that I can think of in my daughter's bais yaakov school- I think it's pretty
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names