Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Help My son is afraid to make #2

simplesima

Post Tue, Sep 04 2007, 5:50 pm
any suggestions I am toilet training him for a couple of weeks and he is afraid to go #2 he is 2 1/2 years old.I tried bribing him and got him a big truck nosh and what not, I also tried to give him a few punishments, talking to him abt understanding his fear etc. I feel like I have tried everything possable any other ideas that I can try? Mad Mad Mad Mad

simplesima

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 10:21 am
so many ppl have viewed my post yet nobody can help me is this such an unusual problem?
Please if you have any ideas I really need them.
Thanks

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 10:36 am
it's not unusual at all. lots of kids are like that.
you just have to get them to do it the first time, and it gets easier each time.
try and figure out exactly when he goes and stick him on the toilet at that time. you have to get him to sit long enough that it will happen. distraction is the key, read books, sing songs, turn his favorite tape on next to him in the bathroom, whatever you can think of.
it's going to take time, keep trying.
don't make him feel like a failure, he's only 2 years old. don't be disappointed if it doesn't work, just matter of fact. keep trying again and again. and have a huge reward (in my house that's ice cream) for when he finally succeeds.
he'll be scared again the second time and the third, but it will get easier after that.

the funny thing I've noticed, is that it helps them to be less scared of the toilet if they have an accident on the floor. Rolling Eyes in no way am I suggesting he do that on purpose, believe me, but just that you understand him better- they really don't understand what's happening to them and where it's going to go, they feel secure in a diaper because they realize it goes in there, and they feel lost without the diaper like they're not supposed to go anywhere else.

hope that helps.

simplesima

Post Wed, Sep 05 2007, 7:45 pm
thanks GR.
Actually he used to go in his diaper or panties but the past few days he is afraid even of that and he starts screaming and crying that he is afraid to go. it takes him approx. 2 hours and I feel like plotzing!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training