Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
When to pluck/wax unibrow

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 6:50 am
So, I have a 9 year-old daughter who has a pretty noticeable unibrow. She recently mentioned to me that a friend of hers asked her why she doesn't pluck it. I asked her if she would like to tweeze or wax that area, but she seems scared to do it. Right now, it seems, it isn't bothering her too much. I was just wondering if anyone here has dealt with this situation. If she expresses interest in tweezing it, should I do it for her now, when she's just 9 yrs-old? Does that seem too young? On the other hand, I feel that if it's something that bothers her, it's better to take care of it than let it negatively affect her self-esteem. What do you think?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 6:55 am
If it bothers her, give her the tweezers, and let her try it on her own. It actually hurts less if you do it yourself. Something about your brain's feedback loop.

Show her where to stop plucking, so she doesn't take too much out of the middle. Take an eyebrow pencil and draw a line where she should leave the hair alone.

Girls are more self conscious these days, and things that didn't bother us so much when we were young are more of an issue now. If she's getting comments that upset her, you need to respect that, even if it seems "too soon" to you.

Water Stones

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 6:58 am
If it does bother her, take her for eyebrow wax at a salon. For unibrow, it will take only one strip.
9 years old is young, but old enough if other girls comment to her and she doesn't like it.

I think a salon would be better than you plucking so that it's done quickly and she can be able to see other women girls there for the same thing.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 7:02 am
Regarding waxing - it depends on how well she handles having a band aid ripped off.

My DD is very sensitive, and she'd be so traumatized by waxing she'd never touch her eyebrows again. She tried a wax strip on her leg once, and said it was the worst pain ever.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 7:03 am
Thanks Frummie. I really like your advice. I'm gonna speak to her about it later. And yeah, I also think that if it bothers her, then we should go ahead and do it. Thanks for confirming that. I just thought maybe I'm crazy for letting a 9 yr-old do her eyebrows! But I guess the age doesn't matter so much (obviously I'm not talking about a 3-yr-old...). Everyone matures at different ages and in different ways.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 7:06 am
Seashells wrote:
If it does bother her, take her for eyebrow wax at a salon. For unibrow, it will take only one strip.
9 years old is young, but old enough if other girls comment to her and she doesn't like it.

I think a salon would be better than you plucking so that it's done quickly and she can be able to see other women girls there for the same thing.

As much as I'd love to do that, I know my dd would be WAY too scared and it would just be a waste of time... I was thinking though, that maybe I would have her sit with me while I do my own eyebrows so she can see it isn't so scary and that it's a normal thing.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 7:10 am
amother wrote:
Thanks Frummie. I really like your advice. I'm gonna speak to her about it later. And yeah, I also think that if it bothers her, then we should go ahead and do it. Thanks for confirming that. I just thought maybe I'm crazy for letting a 9 yr-old do her eyebrows! But I guess the age doesn't matter so much (obviously I'm not talking about a 3-yr-old...). Everyone matures at different ages and in different ways.

When my sister was young, she had a body hair problem. She has extremely fair skin, and her hair came in long and very dark, on both her arms and legs. She started shaving her legs at 9 because the kids were teasing her. She begged my mom to let her shave her arms too, because the kids all called her "monkey" and "gorilla arms", stuff like that. My mom let her, and sis was so happy! It was like she was a whole new kid, and had tons more confidence.

Definitely ask your DD if she wants you to pluck the first hair, or if she wants to try it. Giving her a feeling of being in control of her body is important.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children