Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Removing tonsils
1  2  Next

hello321

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:29 am
My daughter has had strep 7x this year and we went to the ENT and he told us we should remove her tonsils. We are nervous about this. Can anyone advise if they had a similar situation and if you know if theres an alternative?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:31 am
Yes, there is an alternative. Talk to the right people.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:34 am
How open are you to implementing dietary changes in the home? Cuz it would be very difficult for dd to be the only one eliminating gluten (even on Shabbos), and dairy, and focusing on raw fruits, lots of greens (juices or smoothies). Try it for a week and see what happens.
It's not only about eliminating certain groups of foods, it's equally important to include lots of greens and fruits.

hello321

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:34 am
Please Elaborate

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:35 am
DO IT! DD had terrible, drug resistant strep that would not go away. When we got her tonsils and adenoids out, she was a whole new child. No more tantrums, happy and sweet, just a joy to be around.

The surgery was really fast, she didn't want any pain meds, and the next day she said she wanted to eat corn chips! shock The doctor said to make her rest for 24 hours before playing rough, so I had to keep her indoors and bribe her with movies. She was ready to go out and play with her friends, and it was all I could do to make her stay inside.

Have your child's hearing tested, and see if she needs ear tubes put in. They can do it at the same time. I used to think that DD was ignoring me and not paying attention, and it turned out that all along she just wasn't hearing me. The tubes made a world of difference.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:37 am
I had strep constantly as a child and my childhood was definitely spoilt by constant tonsilitis. Tried many different things to avoid having tonsils out that never worked and then at age 19 I had them out. I have never looked back, even though surgery didn't go smoothly. I started living and very rarely get ill anymore. I totally regret not having them out sooner.

hello321

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 5:08 pm
Does anyone know if there’s another option besides for this?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 5:31 pm
hello321 wrote:
My daughter has had strep 7x this year and we went to the ENT and he told us we should remove her tonsils. We are nervous about this. Can anyone advise if they had a similar situation and if you know if theres an alternative?

How old is she? How many times did she have strep last year?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 5:37 pm
I am medically very, very conservative. I would consider have tonsils removed in a case of repeated strep, *but only* if I already tried removing gluten dairy and sugar from the kid's diet, possibly also all grains, tried the anti-strep probiotics, tried other other supplements to build the kid's immune system, and they all failed.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 5:51 pm
hello321 wrote:
Please Elaborate

Do you drive a vehicle? If you do, and even if you don't, surely you know there is regular gasoline and there's premium gasoline.

Same with our bodies. Certain foods act as regular gasoline and certain foods act as premium gasoline. And then there are those fluids that just don't belong in a vehicle's gas tanks.

There's soooooo much to say on the topic, I wouldn't know where to begin.

When my ds was 2 he had chronic ear infections. I had no idea that his daily snack of tea biscuits nor his regularly ingested yogurt, cheese, bread, commercial cereal, pretzels, etc. we're filling his little body with poor-quality gasoline.

His pediatrician referred me for a consult for tubes. I scheduled the surgery. When my fil (a self proclaimed health nut) heard we'd scheduled surgery, he began to educate me on the "premium gasoline" concept. I promptly replaced all, yes all, processed food with fresh, raw, live foods. He got better. We cancelled the surgery. He hasn't had another ear infection since.

It's not easy, but if you're determined you can do it.

Tonsils have a purpose. There is never a good reason to remove any organ in the body when there are other ways to improve one's health. The proper care of our bodies and our children's bodies is unfortunately not a very popular thing.

#youcandoit
#surroundyourselfwithotherswhohavedoneit

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 8:14 pm
FF, I don't want to interrupt this thread. Do you mind if I PM you about your daughters surgery? My daughter will be having her tonsils out after pesach.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 9:12 pm
I'm going to jump on the DO IT! Bandwagon...

My DD was constantly getting strep/tonsillitis every two weeks. It was always one or the other. The ped office became my second home. ENT didn't rush to take them out, he told us to give it more time to see if she outgrows.
So we did. And I didn't want surgery because...the poor girl! So we waited and waited for her to outgrow it. She did not. She missed half the year in school that year. So unnecessarily!
I finally had a heart to heart with my ped when I couldn't take it anymore... Surgery? No surgery? Wait more? Why risk anesthesia? Should I wait? Finally, I scheduled. And it was the BEST thing I EVER did! I got my kid back! It wasn't such a big recovery...she
didn't understand what it meant to have a decent quality of life until after her tonsils were out.

Do it do it do it.

hello321

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 10:15 pm
Amother brown
Please explain more
How would I know if my daughters diet is contributing to this? Is there a way to know for sure? What would you suggest? I mean she eats a lot of bread, dairy ect it’s going to be very hard to limit her diet
I would want to know if it was for sure diet before I start telling her she can’t eat certain things. How did you know this?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 10:29 pm
hello321 wrote:
Amother brown
Please explain more
How would I know if my daughters diet is contributing to this? Is there a way to know for sure? What would you suggest? I mean she eats a lot of bread, dairy ect it’s going to be very hard to limit her diet
I would want to know if it was for sure diet before I start telling her she can’t eat certain things. How did you know this?

I would not tell a child, "Don't eat these foods". Instead, I would begin by introducing the good foods. When the blood gets the nutrients from the good food the person begins to have an aversion to the "bad" food.
So many diets fail because of the admonishments to avoid the "bad" foods. Instead, just prepare the healthier foods and your child will begin to gravitate more and more toward the good food. I would suggest preparing the "good" foods for the whole family, not just this child.
Bread is one of the worst foods anyone can eat. The flour turns into a gooey and gluey consistency and the sticky mess inside bodes poorly for proper elimination. Poor elimination leads to backup of waste, and that's the short version of how tonsil issues develop.

This book has a lot of helpful information to make the transition. https://I.imgur.com/QADLKVN.jpg

Slow and easy. Try not to stress about it.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 10:40 pm
There was an article recently in Mishpacha magazine written by a pediatrician about using probiotics to treat recurrent strep. I don't think I have the article anymore, though.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 10:53 pm
amother wrote:
Bread is one of the worst foods anyone can eat. The flour turns into a gooey and gluey consistency and the sticky mess inside bodes poorly for proper elimination. Poor elimination leads to backup of waste, and that's the short version of how tonsil issues develop.

and yet for generation upon generation we've eaten bread... and thrived.

everything in moderation.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
and yet for generation upon generation we've eaten bread... and thrived.

everything in moderation.

I haven't done the full research, but as I understand it Roundup wasn't used generations ago.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
I haven't done the full research, but as I understand it Roundup wasn't used generations ago.

are you suggesting that roundup is responsible for "gooey and gluey consistency"?

hello321

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 12:11 am
Imotherthenamother
Can u please tell me which mishpacha so I can try to get Tysm

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 12:22 am
amother wrote:
FF, I don't want to interrupt this thread. Do you mind if I PM you about your daughters surgery? My daughter will be having her tonsils out after pesach.

I'm happy to answer anyone's PMs.

For the record, I am not one to go rushing into surgery just because it used to be done on kids around age 5, whether they've ever had strep or not. That's the old school way of thinking.

I took DD to the top ENT in our state. He took one look down her throat and went shock !!! He said "In my 30 years of practice, I've seen maybe 5 cases of tonsils like this. How does she breathe at night?" He pushed her to the top of the surgery calendar.

She bounced back like nothing had happened. Getting her to the dentist for a basic cleaning is more traumatic for her!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics