Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Broiled liver

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:35 pm
Anyone knows if its ok to freeze broiled chicken liver?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:43 pm
No, liver does not freeze well.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:46 pm
Thank you how long can I keep it in the fridge?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 11:49 pm
If it's vacuum packed, it should have an expiration date of about 30 days. If not vacuum packed, not more than 3-4 days.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 12:52 am
Blessing1 wrote:
If it's vacuum packed, it should have an expiration date of about 30 days. If not vacuum packed, not more than 3-4 days.

Its not vacuum packed....gee that's doesn't give me much wanted to serve it yum tov

Aberdinah

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:21 pm
Here in Israel you can buy it broiled and frozen so it must be reasonably edible! I use it for chopped liver. The texture is not so good as it would be just-broiled, but it's still yummy! Because they are mostly sold raw here, many people broil a whole load in bulk and freeze them because buying them ready-broiled is expensive and broiling them is a faff...

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:38 pm
Some people do freeze liver once they sauteed it but it's more crumbly. If you don't like the taste & texture, you can take it out of freezer & make chopped liver from it.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:47 pm
I hope puce you ate up your liver from a year ago lol

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 2:14 am
If you're going to warm it up after, it's fine from the freezer.

Note: if liver was broiled more than 3 days after it was shechted, you can't saute or cook it. So ask your butcher if the liver was oy-ver.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 2:48 am
thanks wrote:
If you're going to warm it up after, it's fine from the freezer.

Note: if liver was broiled more than 3 days after it was shechted, you can't saute or cook it. So ask your butcher if the liver was oy-ver.

Incorrect. You can only kesher liver by roasting/broiling. Afterwards you can further cook it however you want. I wouldn’t since it would be over cooked and dry.

thanks

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 3:06 am
Iymnok wrote:
Incorrect. You can only kesher liver by roasting/broiling. Afterwards you can further cook it however you want. I wouldn’t since it would be over cooked and dry.

You are correct that the liver always needs to be salted and broiled first for kashering. Only then can it be sauteed or cooked in any way. Sauteed onions and liver is delicious, and not dry. l
It's straight up halacha that if the broiling did not happen within 3 days, you cannot cook it after it was broiled.
It's not usually in issue with the logistics and shipping today, but it can be in some out of town places.
My mother always asked the butcher just in case.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 7:13 am
You’re right, I forgot about that.
I only sauté the onions then add them to the liver.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:36 am
Of course you can freeze, but it gets dry and crumbly

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 4:33 pm
Some people hold the 3 day thing and some don't. Found out about this when I got married and I was shocked that my in-law's don't have any restrictions on reheating liver and actually warm it up before eating. We always ate it cold. I still can't get used to the warm liver taste. But I was really shocked because my in-law's are more makpid on various halachos and have extra chumros but my father-in-law explained that there are different deyos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen