Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Need a "new" minivan

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 5:05 pm
I am looking for a "new" used minivan. My price range is about 10K.
In my area, the Hondas and Toyotas in that price range are from 2007-2010 and have from 75K-100K miles on it.

If you have one of these vans, can you tell me what year it is and how many miles you've had on it?
are there any particular years to avoid?
What's the highest mileage you would buy on one of these vans?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 5:12 pm
We bought a 2006 in 2015. There have been lots of relatively minor repairs that will naturally come up especially with an older car, though we've spend a couple thousand or so since we bought. You have to be prepared to budget for that, both financially and in terms of spending the time and energy on it. It has still been a worthwhile purchase for us, we just have to keep reminding ourselves that it's normal to put this money into an older car. We paid less than 10k for it, with around 100k miles. Maybe 7k? I don't remember.

ETA we have a Honda

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 5:18 pm
For siennas I think 2011 is a newer model, it may be worth getting that over a 2010, especially if it’s not a major price difference. I have a 2011 with 85k miles for like 6 years and BH no problems yet, but your looking to start buying it at this point.
Also, it’s probably not so reliable to base such a major purchase on a few people’s personal experiences for good or bad, I don’t know where you live but it’s probably best to call a local trusted reputable Frum used car dealer and they can give you the best advice. They deal with this question all day.
In Lakewood you can call Lakewood Auto Sales, they are straight and honest as can be..(There’s a reason why every other Toyota in Lakewood is from them Smile

lfab

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 5:20 pm
Maybe look into vans other than a honda or toyota. You can get a "newer" van with get miles fire the same price. In 2011 we bought a 2008 kia with a little over 40,000 miles for under $13,000. Comparable hondas and toyotas we looked into were closer to $18,000-$19,000.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 5:28 pm
lfab wrote:
Maybe look into vans other than a honda or toyota. You can get a "newer" van with get miles fire the same price. In 2011 we bought a 2008 kia with a little over 40,000 miles for under $13,000. Comparable hondas and toyotas we looked into were closer to $18,000-$19,000.

Supposedly the Japanese cars, especially Toyotas, have a longer and more reliable lifespan.

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 5:31 pm
lfab wrote:

how many miles does your kia have on it now?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 6:19 pm
I have s 2011 Toyota Sienna with approx 80,000 miles for 6 1/2 yrs and haven’t had any problems with it, and it still drives great. Toyotas are known to be great cars with a very long lifespan. On the other hand, I know people who have leased new Hondas and complain about them. I would definitely try to get a Toyota over a Honda.

nicole81

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 6:38 pm
lfab wrote:

I haven't bought yet... And might not for a while, but when I inquired about a "new" van from my family's car dealer of 15 years, he recommended a Kia as the best value for my price range.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 8:44 pm
Kids only started making 8 seaters in the past couple of years, if you care.

I much prefer the pre 2011 Sienna's if you're doing the 8 seat thing.

We have 108,000 miles on our 06 Sienna. We started needing to put work into it about 2 years ago, and we have averaged about $1000 per year in those repairs.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 8:44 pm
Try truedelta.com for model/year specifics.

lfab

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 7:00 am
ruchelbuckle wrote:
how many miles does your kia have on it now?

I don't know exactly (I never check the odometer unless it's for a specific reason). I would guesstimate between 75,000-80,000 miles on it (but I could be totally off)

lfab

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 7:03 am
amother wrote:
Supposedly the Japanese cars, especially Toyotas, have a longer and more reliable lifespan.

Supposedly is the key word. I know they are technically supposed to be better but b"h we've had no real issues with our kia. We've had a few minor issues with the brakes in that they seem to need replacing more often than in other cars but no real or expensive repairs.

Also, you need to work within reality. If right now you can only afford $10,000 then it doesn't really matter that a more expensive toyota or honda might last a few more years. If you don't have the money then you have to get what you can afford at the present time.

Last edited by lfab on Wed, Mar 28 2018, 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total

lfab

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 7:06 am
nicole81 wrote:
I haven't bought yet... And might not for a while, but when I inquired about a "new" van from my family's car dealer of 15 years, he recommended a Kia as the best value for my price range.

That is exactly what we found. We also mostly drive locally so we knew we wouldn't be putting 10s of thousands of miles on it very quickly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics