Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What makes a good teacher?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 8:47 pm
What do you feel makes a good teacher?
Is the the heart and passion that goes into it? The clarity of the lessons? The attention to each individual student's needs? Following the curriculum? I know these are all big things but I'm wondering what you feel is most important to the success of a teacher.

I'm curious what you would say because my husband's chosen career path is teaching (but he's just starting), while my chosen career path is different but I did work in education before (and with kids for many years) and have been told I've got a natural knack for it.

Thanks!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 8:51 pm
Clarity, love, passion and an ability to be very interesting and relatable, and UNDERSTAND all types of students.

I think teachers must connect. They must love their students and their lessons. They must be people that children want to learn from. They must be interesting and willing to set aside their pride for the sake of honestly teaching their students.

If it sounds like a cumbersome list...teaching is not for you.
If you're in it and love it, despite the difficulties...I'm proud to consider you a member of my I Love Teaching Club!

I truly believe the ability to teach is G-d given...you can get better but either you have it or you dont.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 8:54 pm
Most important is you need to be able to manage the class well. If you can do that, the other things you mentioned will follow. I taught for several years and ended up quitting because I struggled so much with classroom management. I wanted it to work and I tried everything, but for whatever reason, I just didn't have what it takes. You really need to be able to manage the classroom well if you want to get to any of the other important things you mentioned.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 6:21 pm
The teachers I love the most (my kids teachers) are the ones that when they tell me something about my kid I recognize it. It's personal. It's not just "your dd is so cute/smart/friendly" but "your dd did this and this, she is so cute/smart/friendly". A teacher that gives EVERY child attention. And sees the talents of every kid. My 3 yo came home "mommy my teacher made me happy today" I asked her why "b/c she smiled to me". That teacher really loves the kids and as a mother I see my dd feels loved

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 7:02 pm
I dont think theres something specific to being a good teacher.
Every teacher has their specialty, and thats what makes them special.
Find your natural strength, and that will be your biggest asset.
I had so many excellent teachers throughout my life, and I cant say I loved them for all the same reasons.
-Some were young, dynamic an funny.
-Some were middle aged, more serious, but was able to give over a lesson in an incredible way.
-some were deep and connected to us
-some understood me for me

I think if one comes in with good intentions, they will figure out their specialty once they’re behind the desk.

Good luck!

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 7:26 pm
From what I remember as a student, my best teacher's were the ones who understood that I learned a bit differently then most of my classmates. I had such difficulty in elementary/high school, bc (not always the teachers fault) but they expected a certain type of student and I didn't always fit into that type. In college, I had one or two teachers that let me make a PowerPoint presentation instead of a paper. And it made me feel so much better bc I was being treated as a person and not as peg to fill a hole.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 10:37 pm
Someone who sees every students greatness and helps them develop their talents.
Someone who cares about the whole person and their stories, not just grades.
Someone who is authentic/shows their own vulnerability, not just preaches.
Someone who can bring down inspire students to want to learn with creativity, not just memorize information.
Someone who can motivate by showing relivancy to the student's daily lives.

unexpected

Post Tue, Mar 27 2018, 11:54 pm
You have to like kids. Sometimes I meet with a teacher or a Rebbe, and they have nice things to say about my child but they seem very detached or they have not such nice things to say and they sound annoyed as opposed to frustrated. With such teachers I always end up thinking why are you even doing this- go do something you like.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 12:04 am
Young age - warmth & personality

Elementary age - I used to be a not so perfect student & personality

High School - I have control over the classroom & mean what I say & fair judgment & personality

University level - clarity of giving over the material & passion for the subject matter & personality

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
Someone who sees every students greatness and helps them develop their talents.
Someone who cares about the whole person and their stories, not just grades.
Someone who is authentic/shows their own vulnerability, not just preaches.
Someone who can bring down inspire students to want to learn with creativity, not just memorize information.
Someone who can motivate by showing relivancy to the student's daily lives.

Can't love this enough

smss

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 12:35 am
amother wrote:
Young age - warmth & personality

Elementary age - I used to be a not so perfect student & personality

High School - I have control over the classroom & mean what I say & fair judgment & personality

University level - clarity of giving over the material & passion for the subject matter & personality

What do you mean by personality?
And why do you think great students don't make good elementary teachers?
Don't mean to attack, I'm really curious.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 11:49 am
smss wrote:
What do you mean by personality?
And why do you think great students don't make good elementary teachers?
Don't mean to attack, I'm really curious.

Sure, not taking is an attack. I feel these are basic elements to build a good teacher off of.

By personality I mean people who teach should have a love for it, for students at the age they are, a passion for helping people succeed. I guess it wasn't the best word choice. Teachers who came to teach because they have underlying emotional issues, need to be power, revenge on their own school experience etc or the need for a paying job and this was easy to qualify for should not.

Many times I find that teacher who was an all around goodie two shoe type students themselves in all aspects, grades, behavior, responsibility etc lack the understanding needed for their students. They may be super rigid and unable to adjust with methods student to student according to their needs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics