Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hailey
Previous  1  2

cookiecutter

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 11:21 am
Someone should ask R' Chaim Kanievsky if Hailey is a name.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 1:58 pm
legally name your daughter Hailey. Announce her name as Rachel (hebrew). Call her Hailey as a nickname for Rachel.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 2:04 pm
I know plenty of Jewish Haley’s, but afaik it’s not a Hebrew name. So let it be her English name if you like it,

heidi

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 2:10 pm
camp wrote:
Brunette, Especially Erev Pesach, where we discuss how the geulah came about from mitzrayim because of Jewish names( and some other reasons) don’t knock the importance of Being called by your Jewish name.
There’s a difference between having a non Jewish name for governmental purposes, and proudly being called by your Jewish name. Don’t knock the concept even if your not holding there.

Whoa sister.
Not holding there?
Who died and made you posek hador?
Every Pamela, Janet and Lisa I know has a Jewish name. It's on their ketubah and used when their father or husband makes a mishaberach for them.
If they choose to use their English name instead of Tzeitel Brina Chana Shprintza in their daily lives, that doesn't make them "not holding" anywhere.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 3:13 pm
someone asked my dh what his name was. He said his secular name (he's a bt and always been called that name, the person pressed him. My dh didn't really appreciate it. Interestingly enough I got a wedding invitation from a friend who's husband has the same name and the name was actually included on the hebrew side as well. I never heard that name as a Jewish name do people just decide that something is a hebrew name?

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 4:06 pm
heidi wrote:
Whoa sister.
Not holding there?
Who died and made you posek hador?
Every Pamela, Janet and Lisa I know has a Jewish name. It's on their ketubah and used when their father or husband makes a mishaberach for them.
If they choose to use their English name instead of Tzeitel Brina Chana Shprintza in their daily lives, that doesn't make them "not holding" anywhere.

I’m not sure she was trying to “paskin” for anybody. She was just saying that this is a very legitimate concept and that even if someone doesn’t personally hold by it (or whatever your preferred language is) they can and should still respect those that do, and recognize that it’s not some flimsy idea, it has serious roots in our heritage.

Purple2

Post Sun, Mar 25 2018, 6:49 pm
Sorry Heidi, I don’t need someone to die for me to be posek Hador. I’m a very liberated women and can share my views on Judaism without any Rabbi dying. Thank you very much!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 5:13 am
Someone already mentioned Hallel being similar, but Halleli is even more similar and is a more unique but not unheard of name (in Israel).

fiji

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 5:25 am
We have a neighbor, racheli, who my 2 year old calls hailey

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 7:08 am
I know a few Jewish Haileys, I think it's an adorable name (I also met a Hailey who was named after the comet and working at the Lowell Observatory). One is Hila in Hebrew, one is Chana.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
someone asked my dh what his name was. He said his secular name (he's a bt and always been called that name, the person pressed him. My dh didn't really appreciate it. Interestingly enough I got a wedding invitation from a friend who's husband has the same name and the name was actually included on the hebrew side as well. I never heard that name as a Jewish name do people just decide that something is a hebrew name?

I know quite a few people who hate their yiddish Hebrew names and so on a wedding invitation, even on the Hebrew side, they will write their English name phonetically - on their kesubah and for mishebeirach s etc, obviously they still have their "real" Hebrew name. To me this is why it's important to give a name that can actually be used, even if thre exists a garbled yiddish family name in the mesorah. (Instead of "On the matzeivah it looks like it says "genentzah" so that is how the child must be called!")

cheeseblintz

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 12:37 pm
Love the idea of naming for Nikki Haley. That's so cute.

heidi

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 1:12 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I’m not sure she was trying to “paskin” for anybody. She was just saying that this is a very legitimate concept and that even if someone doesn’t personally hold by it (or whatever your preferred language is) they can and should still respect those that do, and recognize that it’s not some flimsy idea, it has serious roots in our heritage.

No, she was saying that people who don't use their Hebrew names in everyday life are not "holding" to a higher level religiously.
Sigh, different topic, same patronizing snubbing of the poor infidels. . .

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 1:31 pm
There are many Hailey's in the Reform and Conservative Jewish world. Tons! Very popular name in more liberal Jewish circles. Not much in frum. I like the name!

pesek zman

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
My sister (who is Jewish and frum, and we were born jewish fwiw - for the person who said its not Jewish) is Hallie. And I have another friend, also born Jewish named Hally. My name is also “not jewish”. So? Chose a name you love. Yentas gonna yent.

I didn't say a Jewish child can't or shouldn't be named Hailey. I just said its not a Jewish name, which its not. It's not about yentas. To some people, choosing a Jewish name is important which may be why OP is asking. No judgements on you or your name

WhatFor

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 2:23 pm
I've never heard it as a Jewish name, but definitely heard of Jews who had that name. I think it's a pretty name, but my first association with it is always Eminem. Then Hailey's comet.

Do you also like Halle, as in Halle Berry, or Holly? If so, I like the idea of naming "Hallel" and calling Halle or Holly as a nickname. Or you can just have Hailey as a separate, unrelated secular name.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Mar 26 2018, 3:59 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I've never heard it as a Jewish name, but definitely heard of Jews who had that name. I think it's a pretty name, but my first association with it is always Eminem. Then Hailey's comet.

Do you also like Halle, as in Halle Berry, or Holly? If so, I like the idea of naming "Hallel" and calling Halle or Holly as a nickname. Or you can just have Hailey as a separate, unrelated secular name.

I think of Holly as a Christian name, because of its association with Christmas.

Hailey is an adorable name, and I think any of Rachel, Hila, and Halleli would be beautiful as Hebrew names.

Also, remember that while names like Kreindel, Shprintze, and Raizel are now considered to be good Jewish names, they're just German and Spanish names that were transliterated into Yiddish. Nothing holy about those names when they were first given to little Jewish babies.

gnomey

Post Wed, Mar 28 2018, 12:18 pm
As someone who has an "English" and Hebrew name, and gave my daughter just one name (Hebrew), I think both are great ways to go. Halleli is an absolutely stunning name, you could definitely use the nickname Haley or Hallie with that as the legal name, or alternatively, make Haley the "English" legal name and have Halleli (or something like it) as the Hebrew name. Similarly, I know a family that just named their daughter Bailey with the Hebrew (Yiddish) name Baila and I think it's so sweet.

LeahDevorah

Post Wed, Apr 24 2019, 7:57 am
Moonlight wrote:
I know a fee Haileys that are Rachelis. Or chelis.

Ya I know someone super religious.
Her name is Rachlie and EVERYONE CALLS her Hailey as a nickname.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names