Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
IYO, the most annoying word in the english language
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 3:06 pm
eschaya wrote:
"So, apparently..."
Teenage dd starts virtually (see, I didn't say "literally") every sentance with that phrase. I've had enough.
"so, apparently there is a clothing sale tonight..."
"so, apparently we have a science project..."

I despise "hubby", "preggo", "totes", and all other diminutive forms of words that do not lend themselves to cuteness. Avi for toddler named Avraham is appropriate. Totes for totally is not.

Another vote for the misuse and/or overuse of long or rare words (unless there is a precise connotation that you are trying to give over that cannot be expressed with the more concise term).

Irregardless is not a word. Don't use it. Say regardless or irrespective.

Like "convey" instead of "give over", right? Thumbs Up

Optimystic

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 3:32 pm
"It is what it is." I guess that's a phrase, not a word. Oh well, it-is-what-it-is.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 3:38 pm
eschaya wrote:
"So, apparently..."
Teenage dd starts virtually (see, I didn't say "literally") every sentance with that phrase. I've had enough.
"so, apparently there is a clothing sale tonight..."
"so, apparently we have a science project..."

I despise "hubby", "preggo", "totes", and all other diminutive forms of words that do not lend themselves to cuteness. Avi for toddler named Avraham is appropriate. Totes for totally is not.

Another vote for the misuse and/or overuse of long or rare words (unless there is a precise connotation that you are trying to give over that cannot be expressed with the more concise term).

Irregardless is not a word. Don't use it. Say regardless or irrespective.

The bolded!!!
"Totes" drives me bananas, especially when it's used in a kids magazine all the time! It's NOT cute. It's unprofessional. And "preggo." Uh.. dusn't sound to good. Though hubby doesn't irk me when used in informal communication.

tf

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 4:26 pm
chmom wrote:
When people call children
„Yummy kinderlach“
Makes me want to throw hand grenades

Why? Aren't kinderlach yummy? That's one truth I appreciate hearing nowadays that I didn't hear when I grew up

chmom

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 4:55 pm
tf wrote:
Why? Aren't kinderlach yummy? That's one truth I appreciate hearing nowadays that I didn't hear when I grew up

Because only edibles are yummy , it’s a misuse of the word. AND adults using the word yummy makes them sound infantile

tf

Post Tue, Mar 20 2018, 5:23 pm
chmom wrote:
Because only edibles are yummy , it’s a misuse of the word. AND adults using the word yummy makes them sound infantile

Oooh,I wish my parents would have this type of love for me. I feel so good for the kids that hear how much their parents love them. The misuse of language falls away for me, even though I am very aware of the inability to use language correctly in this case. The loving connotation behind the language somehow nullifies everything that's wrong with it. I'm too willing to forgive it.

cbsp

Post Thu, Mar 29 2018, 12:00 am
pause wrote:
Literally

As in, It took literally a hundred shmattas to wipe it up. So is that literally or not? Do you even own 100 shmattas?
Or I'm literally going crazy from my baby. Do you want me to call Hatzala?

Just saw this :

Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics