Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds eating out of boredom.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 5:34 pm
Ds 6 is eating out of boredom. He's already obese and always looking for food when bored which is often. He doesn't enjoy playing much or anything really only food food food. My kids are watching a dvd now. He sat for few minutes to watch and then went to get food. He just finished lunch.
I know if I punish him for taking food all the time alone will want to make him eat more. But should I just let him get away with it when I just gave him a big lunch and told him that's it till dinner which is very soon and took food himself anyway? How do deal with this??? He's just gaining and gaining

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 5:41 pm
It depends on your background. Americans here will say how dare you restrict your childrens food intake. Europeans (like myself) will tell you that there are three meals per day,+ 2 snacks. That’s it. Everyone waits for mealtime and eats together.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
It depends on your background. Americans here will say how dare you restrict your childrens food intake. Europeans (like myself) will tell you that there are three meals per day,+ 2 snacks. That’s it. Everyone waits for mealtime and eats together.

So what would u do in this case-that took himself food without asking?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 5:56 pm
I'm an emotional eater - including when I'm bored. 2 solutions - keep busy, and only eat low cal healthy snacks. we go through a lot of celery sticks in my house.

if there is to be a 'punishment' it should not be not for eating - it should be for breaking a household rule that you need to ask permission before taking food from xyz cupboard, or section of the fridge...

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 6:12 pm
Read her books, implement this system for the whole family https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
So what would u do in this case-that took himself food without asking?
not sure, in general food isn’t very accessible, but my kids know from when they’re little they can’t take food without asking. Good luck, I don’t have advice Sad

rachelbg

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 10:47 pm
I’m American, and in our house we have ‘eating times’ and ‘playing times’ and ‘working times’ etc.

Helping your son recognize smart food choices may help him psychologically too- if he knows that a protein snack (or meal with all the important food groups) is meant to fill him and keep him full, he’d more inclined to let go of the habit of needin to eat when he’s lacking something else to do.

Empower him with his understanding of food rather than try to push him away from it. It will put him in a position of power, rather than compell him to try and attain ‘stollen waters.’

Being active will also help. Creating opportunities for stimulation will decrease the boredom.

Good luck!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 10:53 pm
It's okay to ask him "are you really hungry or are you just bored?" He might genuinely be lacking the awareness to differentiate. Also, I talk to my kids a lot about foods that are filling (proteins and healthy fats) vs foods that are not.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
It's okay to ask him "are you really hungry or are you just bored?" He might genuinely be lacking the awareness to differentiate. Also, I talk to my kids a lot about foods that are filling (proteins and healthy fats) vs foods that are not.

I ask him that question often. He'll always say he's hungry.
He doesn't mind eating healthy food. He actually enjoys fruits & veggies. But even that he doesn't have to eat all day!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 02 2018, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
He doesn't mind eating healthy food. He actually enjoys fruits & veggies. But even that he doesn't have to eat all day!
I tell my kids that fruits and veggies are full of vitamins and a good choice, but not filling. If they're really hungry, they need to choose something that's really going to fill them up, and I give choices of proteins and fats that I have on hand . After that, I tell them, you should be full now, we're not going to eat again until [next scheduled meal/snack time]. Often when I say that, they'll say oh I'm not really hungry, just in the mood of a snack. Then I may or may not let them choose a snack, depending on when they last ate. I used to be a big fan of Ellyn Satter, but it doesn't work for all my kids. Not all kids will naturally regulate their appetite if given the chance, they need someone outside of them to do it for them.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:

after ruling out any medical issues with pediatrician, I believe some therapy for him is in order.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:42 pm
[quote="amother"]after ruling out any medical issues with pediatrician, I believe some therapy for him is in order.[/quote

He is all of 6 years old! It's a little premature for therapy Imo. I agree with checking basic blood work and then working with him to see what he enjoys doing it and help him learn how to play
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics