Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Coffee

Eemaof3

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 7:39 am
MIL drinks tons of coffee and I only bought her one canister of coffee for Pesach. yes, one would think one canister would be enough for 9 days. In any case, now she says she won't have enough for the whole chag. The OU website says you can buy certain coffees without a special Pesach hechsher but is that only if bought before the chag starts? She is incredibly picky about her coffee. Help! (I know, first world problem here)

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:03 am
Related question if you don't mind op. I didn't buy coffee coz I thought I'd manage with tea. I thought you needed to buy special hechsher coffee. Then I desperately wanted some coz I was so very tired. Borrowed a little bit from a friend. But it was the same stuff that you mentioned op that you are supposed to buy before Pesach so you can do bitul. Well my friend did bitul but I didn't. Is this a problem? What if I had drunk it at her place?

(I'm modern orthodox of the type that I don't normally worry about these things (some do), but I am just getting a glimpse why some people don't eat out at pesach at all).

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:09 am
Go to the crc app. Folgers is fine even without special pesach cert.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:15 am
Eemaof3 wrote:
MIL drinks tons of coffee and I only bought her one canister of coffee for Pesach. yes, one would think one canister would be enough for 9 days. In any case, now she says she won't have enough for the whole chag. The OU website says you can buy certain coffees without a special Pesach hechsher but is that only if bought before the chag starts? She is incredibly picky about her coffee. Help! (I know, first world problem here)

Can you post a link? I don't remember seeing that items have to be bought before pesach in the OU Passover guide (though we did that anyway).

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:23 am
I bought tasters choice in s small glass jar. It had a little kosher l’pesach stap, I think chasam sofer which is from Israel. It was $5.99 , not expensive for coffee and I normally drink tasters choice so I was happy to find. I went to a kosher grocery which has a pesach food aisle. Op, why don’t you go to the kosher grocery and see what they have on display for pesach? Does anyone have a food products list to check if tasters choice is kosher for pesach without a special stamp?

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
I bought tasters choice in s small glass jar. It had a little kosher l’pesach stap, I think chasam sofer which is from Israel. It was $5.99 , not expensive for coffee and I normally drink tasters choice so I was happy to find. I went to a kosher grocery which has a pesach food aisle. Op, why don’t you go to the kosher grocery and see what they have on display for pesach? Does anyone have a food products list to check if tasters choice is kosher for pesach without a special stamp?

Seriously, why dont people google?!?! I already said, the crc explains this.

momX4

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:36 am
amother wrote:

Tasters choice does not need any expensive sticker
You can buy it anywhere and it's fine for pesach

Eemaof3

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:36 am
Can you post a link? I don't remember seeing that items have to be bought before pesach in the OU Passover guide (though we did that anyway).

I always recall certain things need to be bought before Pesach if without special peach hechsher (I.e. extra virgin olive oil). Maybe not the coffee.

I'm going to CRC website right now!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 03 2018, 8:38 am
Eemaof3 wrote:

I always recall certain things need to be bought before Pesach if without special peach hechsher (I.e. extra virgin olive oil). Maybe not the coffee.

I'm going to CRC website right now!

The OU'r list has Nescafe Taster's Choice original (not flavored or decaf) ok without special Passover certification.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 12:19 am
Does she have a vehicle? Can she go buy her own coffee?

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 7:32 am
She very much has her own vehicle and I am leaving it up to her to work this out. We have not yet gotten a clear answer to the question so for right now I think she is trying to ration her coffee. It is just one small part of a frustrating relationship with her. She never brings things that only she consumes but instead expects us to have them for her. Plus she stays LONG after chag is over and makes it very stressful for all of us. In fact, one DD is not coming home for last days because MIL will be here and instead she can finally avoid her. Sorry for the rant and vent. This happens twice a year for me and I just cannot handle it because my own parents could not come this year so I am feeling more overwhelmed by MIL than usual.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 7:59 am
Eemaof3 wrote:
She very much has her own vehicle and I am leaving it up to her to work this out. We have not yet gotten a clear answer to the question so for right now I think she is trying to ration her coffee. It is just one small part of a frustrating relationship with her. She never brings things that only she consumes but instead expects us to have them for her. Plus she stays LONG after chag is over and makes it very stressful for all of us. In fact, one DD is not coming home for last days because MIL will be here and instead she can finally avoid her. Sorry for the rant and vent. This happens twice a year for me and I just cannot handle it because my own parents could not come this year so I am feeling more overwhelmed by MIL than usual.

You have gotten multiple clear answers to this question on this very thread. What am I missing?

egam

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 12:02 pm
watergirl wrote:
You have gotten multiple clear answers to this question on this very thread. What am I missing?

You are missing that the OP asked if those items have to be bought before Pesach only.
As far as I know only eggs and milk fall under this category. The rest you can buy during the Pesach.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 12:07 pm
egam wrote:
You are missing that the OP asked if those items have to be bought before Pesach only.
As far as I know only eggs and milk fall under this category. The rest you can buy during the Pesach.

Im not missing anything. Crc says folgers is fine. Full stop.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 12:11 pm
egam wrote:

AFAIK even eggs and milk can be bought from a frum vendor who you know purchased his stock before pesach. We certainly just bought more milk.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 12:12 pm
OP, to help you out, I just CALLED the CRC. They are open now. I asked the question if instant or regular coffee had be be bought before the chag and they said NO, it can be bought at any time. They were very clear. Want to call yourself? Here is the number - 773-465-3900.

I know you are posting also out of frustration. But I have to ask - why dont you do your own research? Its so easy to pick up a phone and ask a question to the correct person.

Go buy your mom some coffee, enjoy the mitzvah, and chag sameach Smile

egam

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 12:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
AFAIK even eggs and milk can be bought from a frum vendor who you know purchased his stock before pesach. We certainly just bought more milk.

From the frum store obviously. My point was that buying before Pesach rules only applies to these 2 foods and not coffee, regardless of who’s buying it, store or individual.

Eemaof3

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 1:27 pm
Wow Watergirl! Thank you so much!
As for the Folgers question, the problem is that she is so ridiculously picky about her coffee. In the past I tried buying stuff for her in advance only to learn she no longer used THAT ONE (whichever I bought based on past purchases) because it was no longer strong enough for her.
I guess we always tried to buy everything before to cover all bases. Plus, no "frum vendor" from whom I can buy around here.
As always, you are all amazing women!! Thank you!!
Chag Sameach!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics