Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Gefen Sweet Potato

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 5:22 pm
Dealing with a nut allergy-- The sweet potato fries I bought say made in a facility that uses pecans. I'm wondering how big the risk for cross-contact/contamination is.. For example, do pecans exist in the same factory or are they actually used on the same line. Anyone with any insight or contact info for someone who might be able to help? (Usually, I can call a company number and get info for a big/general brand, but harder to track small brands..)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 5:25 pm
Nut allergies are very serious. Don't play around. I'd skip it altogether.
If you want to try to find out call Kedem/Gefen 800-382-8299.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 6:44 pm
I agree 100%. Problem is that really a label like "made in a facility that uses,,,"is completely voluntary. Companies only need to label for actual ingredients. So theoretically any bag of dif. brand french fries could also be made in such a facility... and there'd be no advisory label at all :-( I'm almost more likely to trust a company that believes in full disclosure... since at least I'd be guaranteed to know what I'm dealing with (ex: not run on actual nut lines..)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 04 2018, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
I agree 100%. Problem is that really a label like "made in a facility that uses,,,"is completely voluntary. Companies only need to label for actual ingredients. So theoretically any bag of dif. brand french fries could also be made in such a facility... and there'd be no advisory label at all :-( I'm almost more likely to trust a company that believes in full disclosure... since at least I'd be guaranteed to know what I'm dealing with (ex: not run on actual nut lines..)

If they volunteered the information that means they were worried enough about traces for someone allergic and don't want to take any responsibly for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics